Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
Incredible work, indeed! The egg crate grille looks much like a late 50's Ferrari, which fits with a lot of the other Ferrari-themed elements. And he also has a Lotus Elise in the garage -- my kind of guy.
Jim

·
Registered
148 Posts
That's the kind of middle age I'd like to have.

From Motortrend's coverage of SEMA:

ONE MAN'S ALFA
The SEMA Show is like the automotive United Nations. It has Lambos and pickup trucks, hot-rods and rally rockets, Detroit muscle and European tuners, plus donks, duallies, lowriders, and a dozen other automotive sub-cultures, all joined by a common purpose: To escape the automotive mainstream.

This hand-built Alfa Romeo roadster is a perfect example of the sheer diversity of the SEMA Show. I found it in a hall jam-packed with Japanese turbos and monster American V-8s; a small oasis of olde-worlde sports car charm among the madness.

Basic mechanicals are derived from Alfa's short-lived 2600GT, a six-cylinder big brother to the pretty little 1963 GT Veloce coupe, the first mainstream production car styled by Giorgetto Giugiaro, who was working for Bertone at the time. The 2600GT's 2.6-liter engine was basically Alfa's classic twin cam four with two extra pots, driving the rear wheels through a five speed manual transmission.

This 50s-style roadster features a tube frame and voluptuous body panels hand-formed from .063inch aluminum. The workmanship throughout is simply incredible. It's not a kit. It's not for production. It's just one guy's escape from the mainstream.
cheers,
scott

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Incredible work, indeed! The egg crate grille looks much like a late 50's Ferrari, which fits with a lot of the other Ferrari-themed elements. And he also has a Lotus Elise in the garage -- my kind of guy.
Jim
I once was talking to a guy who knew the owner of a 2600 spider I spotted in a small town. He said he thought it had a V12 because of all the carbs...

·
Banned
6,139 Posts
As far as ever owning one, cars like this have ZERO interest to me. I can appreciate the workmanship, but it is nothing more than a modern "bitza" to me...

·
Registered
1,481 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
This is classic American car craft at its best - only with a European twist. Man, I do get tired of the myriad of 350 Chevy and 427 Ford based "hot rod" customs. This kind of work - leveraging images of the 50's/60's is awesome. This car isn't a "Bitsa" by any means!! Its a handbuilt car, of its own design, with an Alfa driveline, made in today's world. Call it a "custom" or a "hot rod" (guess its missing the V8 for this name), but bitsa really is derogatory. Throw me the keys, and I'd be JAZZED to cruise this car. The designs of the 50's & 60's specials left so few examples available, and those that are are so expensive that they're not practical to drive, that the cottage industry emerging to produce these new designs (note - not COPIES of old designs nor represented as period "specials") is pretty cool. These car's don't seem to be out to re-write history nor recreate it, but instead offer something new and emerging in the car crazy enthusiasts world

I'd also note that some of the highest dollar value cars at Barrett Jackson AZ's event have been customs of late, so clearly the idea of modern craftmanship with older style is catching on. Even to the point where "brands" such as Foose et al are emerging....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts