Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to replace the radio in my '93 Spider Veloce with a more "period" looking unit, still accessing bluetooth and a front USB port. Currently have an inexpensive Kenwood unit, which doesn't perform all that well and just doesn't look right. In searching Alfabb, I found a couple of positive posts about Custom Autosound systems, but none more recent than 2013 and 2014.
Has anyone recently installed one of their radios? The USA4-DIN model they offer on the website looks compatible. I've already replaced the 4 speakers in my spider, so those should work with this system. Welcome any advice and pictures.
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,880 Posts
I don't know anything about that unit and I do see where it goes with the "vibe" of your car. But it is certainly NOT period correct for a '93! I have an early 2000's Alpine CD player in mine that is "sorta" period correct. This one's rough but would be period correct for your car:

·
Registered
337 Posts
I bought this and I am very happy with it, it blends well with the dash and is modern. I have the same stereo in 3 cars, it’s easy to remember the control features. It changes to 4 different colors , and matches the dash lights too.

1993 Spider Veloce
2016 4c Coupe
2018 4c Spider

·
Premium Member
1,880 Posts
I sometimes look for a more period correct stereo for my car - early 2000s are easy to find but good early '90s not so much. Hard to find units with inputs as well. But I just came across this one. Spendy (more than I want to spend) but brand new, USB, Bluetooth, etc. and couldn't possibly look more period correct for an S4. Too bad Blaupunkt went out of business. Had a couple and always loved the look.

edit: man...spendy but I really want it!!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses and ideas! Both the Alpine and the Blaupunkt are a good connection to the look of the original Clarion Alfa Romeo radio that came with my spider (I still have it). I really enjoy the functionality of bluetooth for steaming Apple Music or XM, as well as doing nav through the radio and charging while in the car. Definitely want to upgrade.
Steve

·
Premium Member
1,880 Posts
My old Alpine has an aux in so I just leave a 3.5mm headphone connector dangling. When I want to have my phone piped through I just plug that into the headphone jack on the phone. Charging is done via a USB charger that plugs into the lighter socket. I've never seen a radio that would charge a phone for squat anyhow. You can also get an FM radio adapter. They can be a little fiddly but work with any vintage FM reciever.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I sometimes look for a more period correct stereo for my car - early 2000s are easy to find but good early '90s not so much. Hard to find units with inputs as well. But I just came across this one. Spendy (more than I want to spend) but brand new, USB, Bluetooth, etc. and couldn't possibly look more period correct for an S4. Too bad Blaupunkt went out of business. Had a couple and always loved the look.

View attachment 1625840

That’s a nice radio that looks the part. Great find!

1993 Spider Veloce
2016 4c Coupe
2018 4c Spider

·
Registered
7,278 Posts
Nakamichi CD400.

·
Registered
7,278 Posts

View attachment 1625840

I would love this if the display is green.

·
Premium Member
1,880 Posts
It says variable color - it'll probably do green.

I’m just wondering if it works in the USA, it is a “DAB” radio?
It says it has DAB - no idea on US compatibility on that. But it'll do plain analog FM which will work in the US and the Bluetooth functionality is a global standard and obviously the aux input will handle anything.

Just to be clear before anyone buys one of these and blames me if it doesn't work (it will): you'd be buying a product produced by a company that's no longer in business. Caveat emptor.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
From their website:

So we have taken over the styling of the original model in the new edition, but at the same time added a modern Variocolour illumination for the buttons and the display.
so you could probably get a very good match for the green of our cars.

·
Registered
7,278 Posts
Upon closer examination, I did not realize it was a cassette.

I actually still use CD's.

·
Premium Member
1,880 Posts
Fooled ya! LOL!

Under the "cassette" "slot"is actually an SD card slot, a USB B interface and a 3.5mm aux input!

I use CDs sometime too in my early 2000's (complete with "steal me" CD case) head unit but this thing's totally a modern head unit disguised as a late '80s/early '90s unit. It's the only one I know of to be a "vintage" lookalike without being a '60s vintage look.

No 8-track, no cassette and no CD. For that you're gonna have to get the real deal.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I took out the air vents that I never use and put in a double din Alpine unit with 2 USB connectors under the heater controls.
IMG_20200425_125223110.jpg
IMG_20200502_143243211.jpg

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the responses! I heard back from the local distributor today, who had engaged with Custom Autosound on the fit/application to an S4 spider. They were confident the unit would fit the space in my spider without further adjustment, and reported positive feedback from other purchasers. They were less confident on fit for my '82 Fiat Spider 2000, as it has an 8-track installed versus a more traditional radio/cassette device. I'm checking on full pricing installation, and will report on the feedback I get. I may give it a try--its not as "period correct" as the Blaupunkt unit, but I've not found a U.S. distributor for that, or a local shop that has installed one. The Blaupunkt is a better match to my original radio, but I'm concerned about getting it installed and integrated with my power antenna.
Thanks,
Steve

1 - 18 of 18 Posts