Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm back hoping for advise and suggestions....I am updating a 105 race car I recently purchased and before taking off the transmission mount, which was broken and disfigured : https://www.dropbox.com/s/u0zogpexj59sqfw/tranny mount bushing.JPG
i noticed a steady drip/leak, large enough to puddle up under the car, at the lowest point of the transmission mount. The only area that it seems to be coming from is the transmission housing itself right over the mount area
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1zlvzoe9oeikfty/tranny mount area.JPG
Has anyone experienced this? My sense is that someone banged the living heck out of the tranny mount area to get the bushing in and managed to put a hairline crack in the housing in the process.
Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated

·
Super Moderator
12,586 Posts
It is either coming from the speedometer drive, the output shaft seal, the breathers at the top sides, or the sliding plates on the very top by the shift rod.
If it drips when parked, it will be the rear seal or speedometer drive. It is extremely difficult to crack that rear housing without obvious damage from large, heavy tools!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you

Thank you for your reply, Gordon. i have dried and marked of all the possible pathways downhill 3 times now and that is the only area (right over the transmission mount) that is consistently wet :mad:

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,721 Posts
Whatever area looks washes clean is a good bet it's coming from just above that

·
Super Moderator
12,586 Posts
Below is a photo of a 105 race transmission in my shop, specifically the area you mention.
As you can see, there is quite a bit of cast aluminum mass in that area. Hard to crack, but with a massive enough sideways blow, not impossible. You can also see the areas of probable leak in this photo, the seal directly above, and speedometer drive.
Worst case, replacing the rear housing is not difficult, though probably not easy to do with the transmission in the car!

Attachments

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you, Gordon

Thanks for the advice and pictures, Gordon. I am really stomped by this one. I had the lower end of the transmission cleaned and dried and used a tire marking chack on the top part of the bushing mounting to see if i an see the leak as it seeps. Came back a day later and the chalk is wet and the leak is still there, no oil to be found anywhere above it!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts