Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was one the 02 board and there were some car photos taken in Cuba circa 2004, low and behold, this, the real red brigades berlina? looks like a euro 1750, this is the only photo posted, thought you might enjoy. As Jack Kennedy might have said, a cuber berleener

Attachments

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Wouldn't Johnny have said "ich bin ein Berlina" ? :)

·
Registered
4,678 Posts
Must be a rich cuban? :) I wonder if there is a Cuban Alfa Club? :D Parts must be very hard to get!

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
no doubt running a lada diesel and lots of bog :)

[visited Cuba in 2003 - fantastic place - starved]

·
Registered
191 Posts
interesting to know how a Berlina came to Cuba!

Most likely a former Itialian embasssy car.
rgds,
ZZ_jr.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Cuban Alfa Romeo 1750

Cuban Alfa Romeos of this vintage are more than likely police cars. If you look at the licence plate it does not say "particular" on the bottom, which would mean it is privately owned. When I lived there the Police had white Alfa Romeos 1750 Berlinas, then they got some Peugeots, and before I left they had Ladas. The Alfas were truly sweet, they blew the doors out of anything they had to chase. This Alfa is probably the only one left, probably canibalizing parts from all other Alfas as they were "retired" off the force. Sure looks nice.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I was just in south Florida driving a Giulia TI, and a lot of ex-Cubans got a kick out of seeing it. I didn't realize Alfa had a presence there.

There's a pretty decent documentary about Cuba and cars, called Yank Tanks.
Yank Tanks (2002)

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
I came over in '68, so I only remember the "Yank Tanks." But driving a Berlina in Miami I get a lot of attention. Alfa's where used mostly by the police and more than one person has told me the "Comandante" himself was driven around in one, with guards squeezed into the front seat fully armed. They say it was quite a sight! At an average monthly salary of around $17, I don't think anyone but government officials could own one.
Yank Tanks are good for many things : ahoy.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I think that Fidel did deals with any one who was willing to defie US embarco and barder trade. Italian goverments was probably willing to exchange some Alfas (state owned at the time) for a bunch of cigars.
Not sure that Alfa had an official agent in Cuba, though.
Erik

·
Registered
9 Posts
Roger what is that line of white cars on the other side of the street? Giulias?
Ralph
They appear to be Fiat 124s, which is why they look Italian, but my guess is that they're Ladas, a direct re-minting of the 124, imported from the USSR, but probably without the same attention to bushings, spring rates etc. which would have conferred refinement to the original. In other words, the copies are a bit cruder.

·
Registered
191 Posts
definitly LADA's !

and LADA's are again copied (build in license) from the Fiat 124 from the seventies.
Those LADA were also rather popular :D here in the Netherlands and were sold uptill the end of the eigthies.

gr,
Frank

·
Registered
561 Posts
I have a hazy memory of reading in a car mag, years ago of some 50s Porsches and Alfas being sold by the Cuban gov. maybe the late 1980s, anyone remeber hearing about this, can confirm or deny? Here in Canada we had Ladas and Skodas imported for a few years, they seem to have all rusted away, except for a rather cherry looking Lada niva 4x4 i see around from time to time.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts