Alfa Romeo Forums banner

181 - 190 of 190 Posts

·
Premium Member
858 Posts
Gigi,

These are great photos. Where did you find them? It's a shame they're so small. I'd only ever seen one TipoIV with the trim completely surrounding the intakes, and that's the famous one that was a press photo of the car. It's interesting to see the white one also with a fully surrounded intake.

Here some vintage pictures.
Red(?) car shows a particular(all around) chrome profile around air intake and a white steering wheel.
Castle in picture is Castello Sforzesco in Milano.
Perhaps the photo was taken when the car went into production and this may be one of the first chassis.
While white car shows the rubber profile around center grille and air intake chrome profiles.
Ladie in picture is a famous '50 Milano fashion designer
View attachment 1603629

View attachment 1603630
-tj

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #182
Gigi,

These are great photos. Where did you find them? It's a shame they're so small. I'd only ever seen one TipoIV with the trim completely surrounding the intakes, and that's the famous one that was a press photo of the car. It's interesting to see the white one also with a fully surrounded intake.

-tj/QUOTE]
I have various original pictures but few for this model.
This is an original card that my grandfather had when cars (not the one in the picture, I think) were presented to customers in 1956 by official seller of my city. He was an important customer (as well as a gentleman driver ) and a friend of the sales manager. So he also bought pre-series like this Giulietta in pictures after a Css ... and being a spider Veloce owner, you'll know for sure what it is.

IMG-20180906-WA0034.jpg IMG-20180906-WA0033.jpg IMG_16898504344974.jpeg

·
Premium Member
858 Posts
Ciao Gigi!

Are your road wheels and steering wheel original? I’ve been curious about the three possible configurations for the road wheels and which were most common from the factory. Painted steel rims and spoke with chrome knockoffs were one option, and would seem to be fairly common for the period. Another option is chromed steel rims and spokes. Finally the aluminum rim with chrome spokes option which is common on Ferraris and other Italian marques of the era. I’m a big fan of that final option.

My car had painted steel wheels and spokes and I believe that this may have been original. The rims have. “CB 56“ stamped on them. I have chosen to have them restored, and rechromed, although the spokes are made of stainless steel and polished.

My steering wheel was restored by a local craftsman.

Regards,
-tj

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #186 (Edited)
Ciao Gigi!

Are your road wheels and steering wheel original? I’ve been curious about the three possible configurations for the road wheels and which were most common from the factory. Painted steel rims and spoke with chrome knockoffs were one option, and would seem to be fairly common for the period. Another option is chromed steel rims and spokes. Finally the aluminum rim with chrome spokes option which is common on Ferraris and other Italian marques of the era. I’m a big fan of that final option.

My car had painted steel wheels and spokes and I believe that this may have been original. The rims have. “CB 56“ stamped on them. I have chosen to have them restored, and rechromed, although the spokes are made of stainless steel and polished.

Regards,
-tj
Hi Tj,
Yes, also on my car common and standard road wheels all painted. I am not an enthusiast of this option. Your choice was also mine but not possible for me: 1) deep rust on rim 2) absence of a local craftman
3) restoration only at Borrani but
A) result guaranteed only for painted options (blasting, new spokes, filling of rust pores, painting) B) cost very similar to new road wheel.
Today, Borrani produces only aluminum rim with chrome spokes. I had no other choice.

About Nardi
I bought car in July with a standard, undamaged and white steering wheel. I was sure he didn't have Nardi. Coincidentally in September I saw, on photos sent to me by a friend, my car have Nardi. Pieces of wood were missing in various parts. I understood to have been replaced. In October I went to Padua. Who did I meet casually? Seller my car. He was there and on his bench he was selling a Nardi. He told me: "this Nardi is for Css".Of course ... it was mine on photo. I forced myself not to buy it. I asked only the price, a crazy price. I preferred to buy a new Nardi rather than to be an idiot who buy again pieces of his car.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #187 (Edited)
Ciao Gigi!

Regards,
-tj
Hi Tj,
Yes, also on my car common and standard road wheels all painted. I am not an enthusiast of this option. Your choice was also mine but not possible for me: 1) deep rust on rim 2) absence of a local craftman
A) result guaranteed only for painted options (blasting, new spokes, filling of rust pores, painting) B) cost very similar to new road wheel.
Today, Borrani produces only aluminum rim with chrome spokes. I had no other choice.

About Nardi
I bought cars in July with a standard, undamaged and white steering wheel. I was sure he didn't have Nardi. Coincidentally in September I saw, on photos sent to me by a friend, my car have Nardi. Pieces of wood were missing in various parts. I understood to have been replaced. In October I went to Padua. Who did I meet by chance? Seller my car. He was there and on the counter he was selling a Nardi. He told me: this Nardi is for Css. Of course ... it was mine on friend photo. I forced myself not to buy it. I asked only the price,a crazy price. I preferred to buy a new Nardi rather than to be an idiot who buy again pieces of his car.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi Tj,
Hi all,
For my car I had Borani steel in bad condition. I sold them and bought at Borani "record" aluminum rim but painted in gray metal except for rim edges. I find it very beautiful.

·
Premium Member
858 Posts
Gigi,

I understand. Like I said, I am a fan of the aluminum rims. I love the way polished aluminum looks. I was lucky in that my car was stored for 4 decades and so the wheels were not rusted.

As for your steering wheel, I did not know that Nardi is making reproductions of the old style (non dish) wheel. I’ve seen what I assume to be restored or NOS examples for $2500+

-tj in the Cruz Mtns
Hi Tj,

About Nardi
I bought cars in July with a standard, undamaged and white steering wheel. I was sure he didn't have Nardi. Coincidentally in September I saw, on photos sent to me by a friend, my car have Nardi. Pieces of wood were missing in various parts. I understood to have been replaced. In October I went to Padua. Who did I meet by chance? Seller my car. He was there and on the counter he was selling a Nardi. He told me: this Nardi is for Css. Of course ... it was mine on friend photo. I forced myself not to buy it. I asked only the price,a crazy price. I preferred to buy a new Nardi rather than to be an idiot who buy again pieces of his car.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #190
Gigi,

I understand. Like I said, I am a fan of the aluminum rims. I love the way polished aluminum looks. I was lucky in that my car was stored for 4 decades and so the wheels were not rusted.

As for your steering wheel, I did not know that Nardi is making reproductions of the old style (non dish) wheel. I’ve seen what I assume to be restored or NOS examples for $2500+

-tj in the Cruz Mtns
Yes. Nardi is a trade mark of Personal Group.
Produce today modern and Classicsteering wheels and provide also to restore his vintage products.

181 - 190 of 190 Posts