Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Beautiful.

I'm curious about that shiny surface appearance at the edges of the panels- how was that done, and what is the purpose?

--Josh

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
thank you for the compliment.
i m learn this so to manufacturing high quality prototypes and making special bodyworks and so is looking professionell finsh.
so can better find the lines if you want to work as possible without thick layer filler.
regards
bernhard

·
Registered
18 Posts
Beautiful work. That's an impressive skill, to do it like they did originally.

I imagine that unfolding the aluminum panels from the steel framework, and putting them back on, without damaging things too much, is very challenging as well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Beautiful work. What color will the paint and interior be once its done?
Hello

Original colour is grigio biacca but I prefer the dark blue colour like Bleu cobalto. I just started to think about.
Master Bernhard has done an excellent job, I´m very happy about it.

The proud owner of 10290.

Gerhard Hackl alias Millenove

·
Registered
11,678 Posts
Subscribed. Best body work I have ever seen.

Pete

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
touring63

hello, many thanks psk.
here the finsh from the floors. all panels handcrafted.
regards

·
Registered
300 Posts
Thanks, Bernhard for taking the time to post the pictures. I enjoy watching your progress.
Larry

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
That is fabulous craftsmanship Bernhard. Zer wunderbar !! I hadn't even realised this model was of Superleggara construction, but I guess in hindsight am perhaps not surprised.

I look forward to seeing how this project continues on towards its completion, I am sure it is going to be superb.

·
Premium Member
858 Posts
Bernhard,

This is truly inspirational work. I own #10321, the younger sister to the car you're working on, and which will also need some bodywork/fabrication to correct poorly executed repairs done on the car decades ago. Sadly Los Gatos is very far from Graz.

I'm curious what method you used to strip the paint from the aluminum. I assume you used chemical stripper? I imagine that sanding or abrasive blasting would surely destroy the aluminum skin.

Regards,
-tj in los gatos

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
hello,
we clean last time aluminum with dry ice and soda.
the next project - cisitalia we clean the body and frame with new special high pressure water methods in italy.
this firm work for the ferrari-factory and another high class alloy cars and has experience in the sensitive handling of the alloy.
fine cleaning and finish all with hand.
you can not work so much on filigree thin old alloy with machines.
does not break hardened alloy you must work with a clear head and tricks
if you've never worked with aluminum better then the fingers away.
you can irreparably destroy the body in the assembly.
the transport from usa is no problem.
price tour- retour from los angeles usd in container 3500 USD.
best regards
bernhard

·
Push hard and live
8,981 Posts
In aircraft work it became popular to use soda stripping as it was much quicker than chemical. However, we learned that this destroyed the pure-aluminum coating on the alloy underneath. This pure aluminum coating is to improve corrosion resistance, as the common alloys are much more prone to oxidation/corrosion of various sorts, even though they are much stronger than pure aluminum.

The type of corrosion that forms on aluminum can be quite varied, depending upon the nature and quality of heat treatment and alloy. Generally, the corrosion doesn't begin to be easily apparent for many years and even decades. This may or may not be impacted by dry, warm storage, as some of the corrosion can be purely a function of heat treatment gone wrong + stress. Excessive working of aluminum can speed up these types of corrosion (which is almost an incorrect term), so as Bernhard notes, if you don't know what you're doing you should keep your hands off.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts