Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Installed a CSC Marmitte muffler today. Both looks and sounds good to me. I don't think I saw too many recent muffler reviews, so I figured I would comment.

The fit on my L was very good. No hassle at all. The car has some kind of aftermarket mid pipe, and what looks like an OEM cat and front section. The CSC muffler is definitely quiet like I read about in older posts. It is a refined sound I guess. I like it. It was all stainless and not painted black as shown on the website and on centerlines site.

The previous muffler was a spintech I believe. It seems to be similar to a flow master or something like that. Just a shell with baffles. It sounds like a hollow can when tapped on. That had much more rumble.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,865 Posts
I like that. Where did you get that one, and the price?

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Centerline. $379 and $58 to ship.

Price a bit steep, but it takes away the sting a little with good fit and finish.

·
Premium Member
15,865 Posts
Being stainless, it should last the life of the car, hopefully. Get tired of replacing rusted out versions. Hopefully it sounds like the stock twin pipe unit from Cisam.

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
Glad it went in hassle free. It's way different than what you had on the 5.0 but as time wears on things will loosen up. I like your choice of the word refined. That's the word I use to describe the 164 experience to Susan, refined motoring. She's not buying it...BTW your reflection in the paint makes you look like Ben Stiller. ciao, jc

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ben Stiller, eh? All's I see is an iPhone and a receding hair line.

There are stainless magnaflows on the 5.0 right now. That's a pretty nice system. I took that car from the old man yesterday for a little exercise. It's loud. It was ridiculous with flow masters and no cats. But I was 18.

Just a note on installation. I used a combination of small donuts and larger donuts to hang it. Small ones were IAP 64159000. About 2" OD. The larger ones were from local parts place. About 2-1/4" OD. I think it's good to have a couple sizes on hand when doing this job.

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
yea. something people dont "get" is the systems(s) need to be left loose, Makes assembly much easier. Mainly when it comes to installing those donuts. I keep 2 of them in the car spares kit. But I'm also "that guy" who kept a transaxle in the trunk of his fiat 128 sedan back in the day. Anyway, get it all assembled then cinch it down incrementally. One weirdity I've found with my CSC is the unit doesn't get too hot. Not sure why I'd note this...ciao, chris

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
Can you tell me more about the larger rubber hanger donuts, such as the name of the parts store? part number? part name? I replaced all 6 donuts a few months with the smaller IAP donuts and they were TIGHT, too tight in my opinion.

Thanks, Rick

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rick, the larger ones were from either autozone or advanced auto. You'll likely find the same ones in either of the stores exhaust hanger and pipe section. I threw out the packaging, so I don't have the part name or number.

I did post a rant about one brand of donut that broke very prematurely. It was made in India. I forget which store sold this one.

The ones from IAP look a little more robust, but I don't think I could have physically got those on all the hanging points. I got both on the cat, one on the mid pipe, and one on the muffler. That 1/4" makes a heck of a difference.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
I bought Bosal donuts recently from Rock Auto for $.45 each. 2" diameter. Great price, made in Holland, seem to last. I bought other ones from local parts stores and they ripped in only a few months.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,865 Posts
In emergencies, I've used loops of 12-14 gauge wire to replace a broken rubber donut. Works fine, and lasts for a long time. Still lets the muffler swing and move around without any noticeable effects.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, I got fancy and even added hose. :001_unsure: Having spares or wire is a decent idea.

Autozone or advanced donuts are overpriced if I recall. They solved a problem til one broke early. The system as installed now is a little more balanced. Hopefully less prone to destroying one. That old muffler always hung a little funny.

Maybe I could get those smaller ones on in summer time or if I heated them, although it seems like it would have pulled the muffler out of center in the exhaust cutout.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,782 Posts
I have to rehang my exhaust every 18 months or so. Those rubber hangers don't seem to last long.

·
Premium Member
15,865 Posts
"Doesn't the wire transfer more exhaust noise into the cabin?"

No, doesn't appear to at all, although I use the stock exhaust system, not an aftermarket such as the Stebro which tend to be a little noisier to start off with.

Haven't had a problem with the rubber hangers in years. Don't remember when I had the last failure on any of the cars.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
In emergencies, I've used loops of 12-14 gauge wire to replace a broken rubber donut. Works fine, and lasts for a long time. Still lets the muffler swing and move around without any noticeable effects.
Oh and I too use "Tie Wire" as a back up now, rubber donut and some semi loose tie wire around it. I had the Autozone and O'Riley $3.99 donuts rip in a month or so. Donuts do the dampening and tie wire is there if they fail :sailor:

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Doesn't the wire transfer more exhaust noise into the cabin?
I've never had an issue using tie wire to hang exhaust, honestly I'd use it exclusively making a figure 8 or a circle so it could bounce a bit, but if one were to look at it it might seem ghetto, so I supplement the rubber with a loop of wire to back it up and so the side to side and up and down movements are limited.

·
Premium Member
15,865 Posts
Actually don't remember where I bought the replacements I did get years ago. Beats the hell out of me, just whatever Lino sells I guess for the stock system. It's been so long, I don't think I even have any around.

I do think it is important to make sure the pipe connections/joint ahead of the rear muffler is loosened and then retightened after the exhaust sections are all hung in place, to make the pieces more aligned in a no load condition. My suspicion is that then there is less stress in the hangers? I don't know.

Haven't used a wire hanger in a very long time.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Actually don't remember where I bought the replacements I did get years ago. Beats the hell out of me, just whatever Lino sells I guess for the stock system. It's been so long, I don't think I even have any around.

I do think it is important to make sure the pipe connections/joint ahead of the rear muffler is loosened and then retightened after the exhaust sections are all hung in place. My suspicion is that then there is less stress in the hangers? I don't know.
You may be right, I think I replaced the muffler before I replaced my center section and after that I started having issues with the hangers. It could have been due to loose or bouncing sections not being retorqued.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts