Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 91-164L and the only non-working thing is the cruise control. I have swapped the control box and the actuator with no results. The electrical continuity tests were okay. Are there any common failings with the CC?
I don't have a wiring diagram of the system (curiously missing from electrical book I bought fromk Books 4 cars) Any guidance would be appreciated (hidden fuses, relays stuff like that.

1991 164L
1991 164L-donor car

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I never use my cruise control - even for long drive on straight boring highways! Why take away the driving fun and risk dozing off ;) !!!

Anyway, here're a couple things that you might want to check:

1. Cruise control is operated by vacuum so you want to check that the vacuum line are good and you get good vacum to the control unit.

2. There are a couple pedal switches that disable the CC system. I think automatic trans car has one at the brake pedal and 5-speed has 2 switches (one on brake and one on clutch). Check the electrical and adjustment there.

Bob

·
Premium Member
9,676 Posts
81gtv6 said:
Mine never worked, but i figure my GTV6 never had it so it
isnt much a change.
Typically it is the vacuum hose from the intake plenum to the vaccum bottle under the left side wheel well. Tends to come undone.
Or it can be either the clutch switch on the pedal or brake switch on the pedal.
I also had no cruise for a few years then tackled it and found it to be all 3 items above. Has been working fine since. No need to swap control units!
Hope that helps.
Jason

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
Not that I'm helping your situation, but mine doesn't work either and I could have used it on my 8 hour long, 100mph+ trip to Las Vegas. I completely agree with BlackAlfa, its one of the most dangerous features a car has!

·
Registered
476 Posts
When mibe broke it was the speedometer sending unit on the tranny. It is tied into the cruise control. At the same time I had my speedometer needle occasionally bounce. When I replaced the sending unit all went right- no bounce in the needle and cruise control worked. Terry

1 - 6 of 6 Posts