Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man oh Man look at the bolt repair to this thermostat housing and wires to cooling fan. Nothing except maybe sensors can be salvaged on this thermostat housing taken on my son's ebay purchase 164L.

Cooling fan wires cut and had a black wire twisted to brown wire and attached to bolt at coil bracket and another black wire twisted to red wire and twisted to pink wire to blower motor power wire behid false firewall.

No wonder all 6 intake valve were bent with timing belt installed wrong somebody didn't have a clue.

We are going to see if engine and tranny work I hope so we can decide what to do with car.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
26,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Butchered 164 thermostat housing

Clear pictures maybe:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,742 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
should be salvageable, just get a good aluminum welder to fix that broken peice and it should be as good as new, i think i saw a saab conector in one of the pictures, did a saab mechanic give a go at it and ruin it? we have a saab indy down here that likes to rig things up rather than fix them right.... it just pisses me off....but it gets me saabs to repair on the weekend to raise funds for the alfa :)

·
Premium Member
2,811 Posts
That's just nasty! :eek:

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
Pretty nasty, huh?

One time, I was installing a water pump and the bolt actually came through the bottom of the upper housing, so I stuck a bolt underneath and it worked like a charm for a long time! :D Never leaked!

·
Premium Member
26,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks like somebody did a hack job on that thing, I am sure you will set it right Steve! Best of luck,
Jon
Yes, I hope so. I repaired wiring to cooling fan motor and a/c heater blower motor and got both to work as originally designed. fuse box fuses and fuse bars on false firewall and all relays were good so why did they try to run cooling fan motor off heater motor relay beats me. Maybe radiator thermal switch is bad so I will cook it on the stove and test it.

Spun the engine with starter and tested most electric circuits and lights so far looking like a possible rescue project. Plan to change out squeeling a/c blower motor since easy access now with top of engine off and false firewall out.

Going to change sqeaky a/c compressor pulley bearing and swap out cooling fan motor while easy access before putting heads back on engine.

I figure even if we decide to part out car if tranny bad or engine doesn't check out we can just remove new parts but if car is a keeper it is better to have zero timed out these known to start failing items while they are easy to get at.

Did I ever tell you all lately how you never can have too many spare parts?

I had to replace driver's door outer broken door handle and repair door latch assembly after my visiting NJ buddy slammed door yesterday with latches latched so door wouldn't close until I GOT OUTER HANDLE CHANGED. He didn't know I had it latched with door open so a small accident but all is forgiven especially since he brought me a spare oil pan and fuel pump. Pan can be used on my spare block when I build it up and I may need pump in this car as I haven't figured out yet why gas tank half reinstalled. Since I assume it has been over 3-4 years since car last run fuel pump maybe seized by now. Gas still smelled pretty good in fuel rail though.

You know these ITALIAN CARS have made me a lot of fine friends over the last 27 years since I bought my first Fiat a 76 Fiat 131!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Steve-- you didn't buy that from a guy named Mike in New York state did you?
I purchased my Alfa on Ebay there-- guy even claimed he was a mechanic.
mechanic of what I don't know -- certainly not automobiles....

How much was the car at the end of the auction?

·
Registered
503 Posts
wonderful steve, glad to see the car in good hands, i know what you mean about working on cars making you friends, I have a select list of friends and fellow church goers that i reapair cars for, since i have a regular 9-5 job i can pick and choose the cars i repair, mostly, older mercedes, saabs and bmw's. i really like repairing the older MB cars now there were designed by mecahnics and not accountants. you can change an MB blower motor in 30 minutes unlike, alfa, saab and bmw

·
Premium Member
26,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Steve-- you didn't buy that from a guy named Mike in New York state did you?
I purchased my Alfa on Ebay there-- guy even claimed he was a mechanic.
mechanic of what I don't know -- certainly not automobiles....

How much was the car at the end of the auction?

No, my son got it from a guy in NJ about 3-4 years ago not sure what he paid for but it wasn't much but maybe too much for a non runner like this with 6 bent intake valves. He now has two nice daily driver 5-speeds a one owner 92L and almost a one owner (jumped title) 91S so this is a possible spare one for his wife as it is automatic.

One thing that is nice to find out about this car is the stepper motors work with no unusal noises. Was a real plus to check that out yesterday.

·
Premium Member
26,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
DISCLAIMER: IT IS (almost) 5 O'CLOCK SOMEWHERE (ACTUALLY 4:49 p.m. here on the Right Coast).

Just got heads back from MY head shop guy with super QUIK turn around - 2 days. I knew I had 6 bent intakes going in, but 11 1/3 valves bent. I gave them 12 valves and they used 12. One exhaust valve can/could be saved it maybe if he keep turning it on grinding machine. What a bunch of jack leg mechs must have worked on this car in NJ or whereever.

Today I pulled A/C evaporator BOX (still has R12 a/c charge in it SO A PLUS) out of the way and got blower motor out. Somebody has been here B4. Lever for temp control stepper "modified" with drywall screw. I will give them A for effort as plactic tip/tit for stepper motor cable broken off so they saved lever by drilling hole and screwing in drywall screw to attach temp stepper cable. Works, so I give them credit for that, but why is it broken off?

As I said earlier looks like stepper moter assembly may have been changed as they are working (knock on Alfa wood). Also looks like new heater core and hoses (such as deal) installed.

I also ran a check on wiper motor and have a intermittent problem on high speed setting (quits) that may mean while blower motor out of the way I will pull, repair or replace wiper motor. Again again I say you can't have too many spare parts, can you?

Looks like a 100k PLUS checklist is evolving here.

Replace a/c heater blower motor with new Saab 9000 ebay special from eEuroparts.com. Free Shipping.
Verify heater core condition.
Replace cooling fan motor bearings or motor. I have spares already rebuilt (repaired) with new bearings.
Replace a/c compressor pulley bearing. Just happen to have a bearing in my spares. Now is the time with head and alternator out of the way.
Verify wiper motor condition. Have one from my 6k parts car stash.
Verify auto tranny fan motor if AT model (yet to do). Fan blade spins freely.

Stay tuned, now back to your regular scheduled programming.

·
Premium Member
26,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)

·
Registered
573 Posts
That looks outright nasty.

Nastiest thing since I noticed c15 van was running with no coolant and no connections to the fan switches.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts