Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,997 Posts
Maybe it's sacrilege, but can a Thule rack be mounted on a 164?
I don't see why not an Alfa rack option can be. I have a couple and have ski adapters and cargo rails but no bike adapter.

Here one with cargo rails between main rails and with cargo carrier on top of rails.

The 164 has the four mounting screws hidden in behind black drip seal for doors.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,861 Posts
I use my Alfa roof rack to haul lumber mostly, lol. works well, and the rack itself doesn't look that bad on the car, but it will increase fuel consumption a little,maybe 2-3 mpg, even more if you use a carrier box on top like the car above.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Occasionally a bike. The threads about 164 issues keeps scaring me but eff it, I've worked a deal for one and will just get it ... Provided it's 'as advertised.'

My Alfa mechanic is cheaper and better than most. A huge plus.

·
Premium Member
15,861 Posts
"The threads about 164 issues keeps scaring me"

Keep in mind that most 164's running are pretty reliable and running well, IMO. What you see in many of the posts are the problems some have with trying to do their own heavy maintenance/rebuild, sometimes with little training or knowledge about cars in general (don't get me wrong, it doesn't make them bad owners), or you hear about 164's which have been driven into the ground by uncaring owners, some of which know/care nothing about providing even the most basic but required services and parts upkeep/replacement. Some just run them until they die and then get some quick cash by parting them out. The owners who are skilled and successful at servicing and rebuilding usually relate very little in this forum, except to offer advice/hints for repairs for those having problems.

Yes, there are component failures in these cars, and parts do wear out. Cannot deny or avoid that, they are 20+ year old cars, and some components eventually fail or wear out in that time. Proper and prudent services and parts replacements do keep them running pretty reliably for a long time, providing the owner/driver with lots of fun driving miles.

Very few makes are 100% reliable. Usually those makes are pretty boring to drive, such as the Toyota Camry. Friend has one. Reliable but totally boring, just an appliance, like a refrigerator, for basic getting around.

The help for these cars is on the web, in this forum among other sites, for assisting people to keep these 20+ year old cars in good running conditions, and realize that there are many having had no problems worth talking about for thousands for daily driving miles or long vacation trips. There are quite a few suppliers here and abroad for parts, no problem there. Just ask or look at the list of mechanics/parts houses shown in this forum.

Keep in mind you will NOT make money through appreciation on these cars. The money you put into them should be regarded as money spent on your hobby. You can go a long way with your money instead of spending many thousands for a new(er) car with equivalent driving satisfaction.

Hope you are successful in your pursuit, and end up having many miles of driving fun. You do live in Kirkland, but I do recommend Alfa of Tacoma for major services, none better (they can pick up your car in South Seattle).

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
I have a Thule rack on mine, but had to find a fit kit for it, which wasn't easy. The fit kit is available in Europe, but they aren't allowed to send them to the USA for some stupid reason. I finally got one from Remo (can't recall the name of his business right now) in Canada.
Charles

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm pretty fired up and hope the car lives up to expectations when I see it on Saturday. IAP has lots of parts. What parts ARE HARDEST to find?

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Del - my wife drives a Camry. You are so right about it being an appliance. However, the V6 is nice.

·
Premium Member
15,861 Posts
"IAP has lots of parts"

Also, I do heartily recommend Jason (Alfissimo) and DiFatta, and others.

Door handles are rare, usually you would repair the broken inside ones (repair methods are shown in this forum), and find used outside ones which are not broken (and, to make things more difficult, all four door outside latches are different, although you can modify the rear latches to use in the front so I hear). My 1st rule on how to use them is: never pull them up to the internal stop after it unlatches the door, grab the door instead. Rule 2: see rule one. These suckers are somewhat fragile, poorly designed, and with crummy metal.

·
Registered
8,782 Posts
I've got a set of Alfa roof racks that I've never used; HOWEVER, comma I have a trailer hitch and trailer:)

·
Premium Member
15,861 Posts
An Alfa with a trailer hitch, jeez, lol. An S no less!!

However, having said that, if they are to be "daily drivers" you gotta do what you gotta do.

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
Tounge firmly in cheek here. "and you guys gave/give me $hit about driving lights"!!! Now tounge sticking out!! Seriously tho, buy your 164, we have a good fun around here and they are a neat car!! ciao, jc

1 - 20 of 30 Posts