Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder if there area any S4 owners here who also have (or have had) Porsches? In particular, 911’s and even more in particular, 964s.

I have a had Ferrari Mondial for 4 years and am thinking of selling it. I want to replace it with something just a bit more practical, yet fun and cheaper to maintain.

My budget is about $20,000 or less.

I am NOT obsessed with raw speed or power. For that kind of money, I know that is not realistic. I do like nice looks and fun to drive.
I know I can get a 964 for that kind of money. But, not sure it would be fully sorted at that price.
On the other hand, for that kind of money, I could get a very nice S4.

So, for those who have driven BOTH, what do you think? Is the Porsche experience really way ahead of the S4?

Thanks
Sam

·
Registered
99 Posts
I would get an S3, preferably a 1985. This is the last year of the wooden steering wheel and dual pod tach/speedometer. The interior is not as "glitzed up" as later S3's and S4's and , in my opinion, gives an authentic top down, roadster, sports car experience. YMMV

·
Premium Member
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would get an S3, preferably a 1985. This is the last year of the wooden steering wheel and dual pod tach/speedometer. The interior is not as "glitzed up" as later S3's and S4's and , in my opinion, gives an authentic top down, roadster, sports car experience. YMMV
"YMMV" Your Mileage may vary? :)

Thanks. I agree with your point about the interior of the 85. The nice ext lines of the s4 win out for me, though. Wish I could have an s4 with s3 interior. ;)

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
Wish I could have an s4 with s3 interior. ;)
Just buy one of each and play with them a bit. A '90 Spider is a good mix of those items, I hear, at least in some regards. You want the S4 Motronic system? Put a 164 engine with wiring harness into an early Spider. You don't have to use _all_ the ponies at once, you know. My son has daydreams of putting a 3.0L into a Spider.

Michael

·
Registered
612 Posts
I wonder if there area any S4 owners here who also have (or have had) Porsches? In particular, 911’s and even more in particular, 964s.

I have a had Ferrari Mondial for 4 years and am thinking of selling it. I want to replace it with something just a bit more practical, yet fun and cheaper to maintain.

My budget is about $20,000 or less.

I am NOT obsessed with raw speed or power. For that kind of money, I know that is not realistic. I do like nice looks and fun to drive.
I know I can get a 964 for that kind of money. But, not sure it would be fully sorted at that price.
On the other hand, for that kind of money, I could get a very nice S4.

So, for those who have driven BOTH, what do you think? Is the Porsche experience really way ahead of the S4?

Thanks
Sam
Factory Five Racing -> 65Coupe ;) maybe you will reconsider that Porsche?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Having owned Porches and Alfas (along with other roadsters) in the 70's and 80's, when I decided to purchase a mid-life-crisis car this year, the choice was simple. I bought a '91 Veloce.
It's not as quick as a 911 or an S3, nor does it seem as nimble as the older Alfas, but I like the integrated look, and it's quieter. It has more of an elegant feel, suited to long curvy roads (Pacific Coast Highway is way cool in this car), and I don't feel I need to drive aggressively to enjoy the experience.
Then again, maybe I'm just getting old.....

·
Registered
7,166 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
This is definitely not a crazy question. In fact, it shouldn't even be a question at all.:rolleyes:

Get a 964.

If it's not "fully sorted", take out a loan to sort it.;) There is no comparison between a modern 911 and a modern Spider. None. The driving experience of the 964 FAR surpasses that of the spider.

Now, if you must have a rag-top, find a cabriolet.:D

·
Premium Member
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is definitely not a crazy question. In fact, it shouldn't even be a question at all.:rolleyes:

Get a 964.

If it's not "fully sorted", take out a loan to sort it.;) There is no comparison between a modern 911 and a modern Spider. None. The driving experience of the 964 FAR surpasses that of the spider.

Now, if you must have a rag-top, find a cabriolet.:D
Ah. Good feedback.
Thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts