Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Granted the switch was a little wonky and may have been keeping the light on with the glovebox closed, but then it would be a simple matter to just pull the bulb. Whoever did this had to remove the glovebox just to snip the wire.
You do know that the glovebox, hood and trunk lights can/should only come on if the parking lights are turned on don'tcha?

Mayhaps the cut wire was a case of someone trying to figure out why the light didn't work when the glovebox door was opened (and the lights were off) ;)

If you're getting voltage to what you presume to be the power wire to the glovebox light when you turn on the key, then something is goofy with the wiring beyond there being cuts-n-splices.

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Hard to say.

I've got an S3 also, but with the intact wiring under there, my glovebox only lights up when the park lights are on.

If your diagram shows that pink wire going to the reostat, then it's wrong in general, (most of the pinks are console lights that have dimmer control), as the gloverbox light wouldn't be on that circut.

Is the diagram you have specific to '83 and not just a general 'series 3 82-89' type thing?

Onnaconna if you're using the IAP book and it's diagram (the CD I think too) that's for a late S3 (monopod) and has a few pretty distinct differences from the early S3's.

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Well right off, if it's a papajam diagram it's correct, or at least significantly more than 90% of the others out there. :)

Yup, monopod is the one piece cluster with all the gauges in one big housing. (we be dual pod) Monopod is only neat-o until you actually need to see through it with a lowered seat. Ask msiert about that one when he gets back after his track weekend.

What changes occured during the 83 run?

Who knows, could be one, some or none and more likely something you'll have to get familiar with in regard to your own vehicle as it's also highly dependant on what Luigi was up to the day he wired up your stuff and whether or not Guiseppe had to finish up for him that afternoon. :shrug:

I know mine has combinations of the 83, 84 and 85 MY incorporated into it depending on which section of the harness I'm dealing with, (oddball stuff like the harness wiring for an inertia switch in the engine bay, but the proper tachymetric relay in the back so that the inertia switch isn't needed, so it's just factory bypassed under the hood), but it's not cut up or modifed in any way that I've been able to locate thus far.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.