Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody lowered the rear of early GTV by repostioining the rear suspension straps tighter around the axles tubes? I suspect this could limit heave too much while braking over bumps and and cause the rear tires to have very inconsistant grip.

R

·
Premium Member
2,158 Posts
Has anybody lowered the rear of early GTV by repostioining the rear suspension straps tighter around the axles tubes? I suspect this could limit heave too much while braking over bumps and and cause the rear tires to have very inconsistant grip.

R
No, and I don't think you'd want to. First, I think the straps would lift the wheel in cases where you wouldn't want it to. Second, the straps are not really ever supposed to do anything, other than act as a safety. If you put them under tension, I don't think they'd last very long.

bs

·
Registered
256 Posts
I just posted a question of a similar nature on this thread about rear coil-overs:
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/showthread.php?t=47800

I shortened my rear limit straps to keep my shortened rear springs slightly preloaded, to keep them from falling out of their perches at full droop (fully unloaded).

I've seen this done on some race cars, and I've seen shorter limit straps offered by some aftermarket manufacturers.

I'm also wondering what the loss of rebound travel will do for handling and traction. I've lost almost 2" of rebound travel, which is significant. I haven't been able to drive my car yet since lowering it.

You can't lower the car just by tightening up the straps. If you shortened the straps that much, to get the car to sit lower while parked, for example, the wheels couldn't rebound at all. You'd have NO rebound travel! The only way to lower the car is to get shorter (or softer... so they collapse) springs.

With my lower springs and shortened straps, when the car sits under its own weight, the straps have 2 or 3 inches of slack in them. It's only when I jack the car off the ground (or roll into a corner) that the limit straps come into play.

George

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can see shorter springs are the only way to go. I'd like to retain the compliance of my original springs, but want the car to have a lower stance..especially in the rear.

I'm just learning my car...I have many miles before I try any of these suspension mods.

Rp

·
Registered
109 Posts
Rear springs spacers

This spacers are mounted on every car (GT105)? Where they are located ,because I don't remember to see them and I want to lower the rear whithout to cut or change the original springs.I have tried Eibach sport springs but the car sits to low for street and I think they aren't stiffer than the stock ones.I use yellow Koni Sport shoks.
Tks for your interest and help.
Serban

·
Registered
26 Posts

R
:D This reminds me of stories my dad has told me about how he and his mates, as 18/20 year olds, used to lower their cars in the late 60s, e.g. -

- chuck sandbags in the trunk (or tray if you had a ute)
- distort the leaf springs with an oxy torch
- get some mates to sit in your car to lower it, and then weld lengths of chain to the top and bottom of the springs to limit rebound.

I should add it wasn't my dad who tried the 3rd option, and the guy who tried didn't have much success, especially as the driving was all on old country roads....

Brad

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
My favorite ghetto lowering technique - three or so big fat hose clamps, threaded around the front spring coils on an '81 Spider and tightened down...

-Jason

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Crazy idea??? Hey this country was founded upon a crazy idea. Back in my informative years I just used a torch to heat up the springs and let them sag. I also learned to not heat a coil spring in the middle.

·
Registered
357 Posts
If you shorten the straps to make the car lower, you will be pre-loading the suspension.A nice handling car will be a HAND FULL even on slow corners

1 - 10 of 10 Posts