Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you have to remove the woodruff key on the front of the crankshaft behind the pulley to replace the oil seal? Mine is really stuck.

·
Super Moderator
10,628 Posts
Do you have to remove the woodruff key on the front of the crankshaft behind the pulley to replace the oil seal? Mine is really stuck.
I've always done my seals while the engine was apart, but don't see why the key would interfere with removing and replacing the seal with things assembled.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was concerned that the washer with the tab couldn't be held in place because the woodruff key wasn't sticking out enough to prevent the lock washer from rotating. Is that how the lock washer works or am I wrong about that?

·
Super Moderator
10,628 Posts
I was concerned that the washer with the tab couldn't be held in place because the woodruff key wasn't sticking out enough to prevent the lock washer from rotating. Is that how the lock washer works or am I wrong about that?
"Wrong" is a strong word; let's just say your assumption wasn't 100% valid.

The locking disc has a tang on it that extends into the slot in the crankshaft where the woodruff key mounts. So the key needs to be set back enough to allow space for that tang.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Please see photo of the washer.

What do you mean by "tang"? Not sure I understand how it will lock the crankshaft nut. Please clarify.

Also, I am now committed to removing the woodruff key. It will only come out from the front at an angle about 30 degrees from the the center of the crankshaft. I tried to push it back in but it will not seat. Any thoughts on removing the key?

And where can I purchase one?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,628 Posts
Also, I am now committed to removing the woodruff key. It will only come out from the front at an angle about 30 degrees from the the center of the crankshaft. I tried to push it back in but it will not seat. Any thoughts on removing the key?
I'm not sure I understand your situation, so can't advise on how to remove.

And where can I purchase one?
"one" meaning a lock disc? Spruell sells them as part of a kit; see: http://www.spruellmotorsport.com/engine-locktab-kit-2000-engines-p-4860.html I just use blue Loctite on my crankshaft hardware.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts