Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If the "legend" is correct, is this the crankshaft refernece plate? Just a plasitc piece of triangular plastic??

And I can move the crank by putting the car in 4th gear and pushing it?

And I have to remove the cam cover too see when the cylinder one is @ TDC by checking that both valves are closed.
Are they correct?

Thx :D

Attachments

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
I call it the timing pointer. All the ones I've seen are metal and, at least on early engines, are adjustable.

Yes.

If your not doing a valve, cam or timing chain adjustment, the cam cover doesn't have to come off. Instead, pull the distributor cap and see where the rotor is pointing when the "P" mark (TDC) is lined up with the pointer. If the rotor is lined up with the sparkplug wire in the cap for #1 cyl, your at TDC for #1. If it isn't, turn the engine one full revolution.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Jim.

The one on my engine is transparent.
Right now I'm trying to familize myself with the engine. Still waiting for IAP to ship me the head gasket.

If it is adjustable (I saw a screw on top of it), how can I be sure it's pointing the right direction. Make sure it's perpenticular to the engine?

Thank you very much. :)

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
Must be plastic then. What year is it?
The idea is not so much that the pointer is perpendicular to engine but whether or not it is adjusted to ensure that the #1 piston is at TDC when the P mark is lined up with it. If it looks like it hasn't been messed with, I'd leave it alone. It's not that critical when doing a head gasket anyway.
The pointer can be adjusted by 'feel' (ballpark accurate), a dial indicator (more accurate) or degree wheel (most accurate).

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's a 73 115.01

Oh I see. Maybe I should borrow my uncle's gauge (dial indicator? the one that go into the plug hole and measure TDC) to see how accurate the pointer is. I'm just bored and have nothing to do - maybe :D

Thx Jim! :D

papajam said:
Must be plastic then. What year is it?
The idea is not so much that the pointer is perpendicular to engine but whether or not it is adjusted to ensure that the #1 piston is at TDC when the P mark is lined up with it. If it looks like it hasn't been messed with, I'd leave it alone. It's not that critical when doing a head gasket anyway.
The pointer can be adjusted by 'feel' (ballpark accurate), a dial indicator (more accurate) or degree wheel (most accurate).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts