Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
3 weeks and Round 12 with the crankshaft flange bolts:
THE most stubborn bolts ever!
Sprayed em with numerous magic lubricants, bought (2) Craftsman 13mm long handle open end wrenches, went nuclear and heated them up to about 9000 degrees and they would not let go. Momentarily gave up and decided to remove the crankshaft so discovered the rubber coupling bolts were also glued in place SO . . . . went out and purchased a $160.00 (!!!) impact wrench which did the trick on the 3 coupling bolts. With the front coupling loose I got a better angle on the flange bolts and (using the new impact wrench) I was able to get all of the flange bolts off! What a victory!
HOWEVER: The flanges are still stuck together! All 4 nuts and bolts are removed and the flanges will not let go. Even a gentle (OK, not so gentle) smash (OK, many smashes) with a hammer doesn't get them to release. Are these flanges supposed to be loctited together? One way or another, tomorrow I will win. Any advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
No they are not supposed to be glued together.

Everytime I have taken it off, it has required a tap or two, but it came off.

I see you have a torch in the background. I would try some heat, some persuasion with a hammer, and if not, use a chisel or something with a sharp edge to try and pry them apart.

Good news is you have a nice impact wrench now!

Good luck,

Vin

·
Super Moderator
10,620 Posts
That's your driveshaft. The crankshaft is inside the engine.

As Vintre wrote, they often get a bit stuck, but usually come apart with moderate force. Don't beat the flanges so hard that you mar the mating surfaces.

Looks like you were able to separate the flange at the differential. What if you pull on the back end of the driveshaft, using the shaft as a lever to break the front flange loose?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Vin and Jay:
Thanks for the words of wisdom. My bad on the driveshaft / crankshaft error. Thank you for the correction.
I was wondering if I could put the car in gear and turn the rear wheels back-and-forth to use a twisting motion to get the flanges to release? I might try that tonight! It is soaking in a spray of magic penetrating oil now. I am hoping I will hear a "clunk" of the flange hitting the garage floor sound but that might be wishful thinking the way this has gone so far. Picture of my new best friend follows . . . .
Thanks again,
NH Rick

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Vin and Jay:
Thanks for the words of wisdom. My bad on the driveshaft / crankshaft error. Thank you for the correction.
I was wondering if I could put the car in gear and turn the rear wheels back-and-forth to use a twisting motion to get the flanges to release? I might try that tonight! It is soaking in a spray of magic penetrating oil now. I am hoping I will hear a "clunk" of the flange hitting the garage floor sound but that might be wishful thinking the way this has gone so far. Picture of my new best friend follows . . . .
Thanks again,
NH Rick
I guess you could try that, but I'm thinking it wont work.

Keep soaking it with penetrating oil, cant hurt.

Its good to have friends like that. We can always use more friends! :smile2:

Vin

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,471 Posts
You could put it all back in minus the 4 bolts and dump the clutch! Before that try a big screwdriver angled at the joint and hit it with a hammer. having it at an angle should minimize any flange damage. If you do bugger it up just file the flange face back flat so they fit back together evenly.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Worked like a charm! A quick turn this way and a quick turn that way and the beautiful sound of clunk clunk. When I looked under the car, this is what I saw:
Well, looks like I lost that bet! :wink2:

Glad it worked out for you and I am happier that I saw you marked the driveshaft connections so you keep the balance when you put it all back together.

Feels good eh?

Congrats.

Vin

·
Premium Member
14,023 Posts
It's great that you got it apart but don't get the idea that you can generally be heavy handed with driveshafts. It does not take much of a dent in a tube or distortion in a flange to produce unwanted vibrations that will be hard to fix.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts