Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The workshop manual states on p47 that when re-fitting the crankshaft, the tightening of nuts to the bearings should commence with the centre bearing.

This makes sense to me but why then does the manual state on p41 that when removing the crankshaft, the nuts to the centre bearing should be the first to be undone? I would have expected to start with the ends.

Does the same "start with the centre whether removing or re-fitting" rule operate also for the camshafts?

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
tightenning

Steve

Not sure what you have done with your crankshaft , whether its been out completely of you have just had a look at the bearings.

On the one engine I did ,I am sure there are many out there more qulaified then me to answer this, I first plastigauged individual bearings with low torque to chack clearnace. Then started at the middle as suggested , I built the torque up step by step . Turning the crank at all times as I went to make sure there was no tightess , worked OK

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My crankshaft is still fitted Ian. It will check the bearings and change the seals in a week or so. I wanted to be sure on the loosening/tightening sequence before I do it.

Did you follow the manual and loosen the middle first or start at the ends which is more logical as it would be the reverse of the tightening sequence?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts