Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't get my 86' Spider Quad to start. It cranks but won't start. I replaced the cap, rotor, plugs, fuel filter. Not sure where to go next. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Ack! Why do folks start replacing pretty darn reliable parts before they've even determined if the problem is "no spark" or "no fuel"?

Okay, Dan, the first thing you need to do is check for spark at the plugs. If you have a good strong spark at each plug, then the problem is fuel-related and you need to start sorting out your fuel injection. If there is no spark at the plug, then the problem is ignition related, and you need to start sorting out your ignition system. Once you know that much, we can be loads more helpful. Okay, they can be loads more helpful. I think I've just exhausted my Alfa engine knowledge.

Tim

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
I can't get my 86' Spider Quad to start....
.__________________
Dan
1986 Alfa Romeo Spider Quad (Cecilia)
Sort of reminds one of
"Ceceeeeeeeeelia, I'm down on my knees.....
I'm begging you, please......"

One thing Tim didn't mention is possibly the air meter is giving incorrect info because of a hose disconnected or torn. That would not be a fuel or ignition problem but would just as certainly incapacitate the car. These things are included in the L-Jet info to which Eric pointed you.

Michael

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ack! Why do folks start replacing pretty darn reliable parts before they've even determined if the problem is "no spark" or "no fuel"?

Okay, Dan, the first thing you need to do is check for spark at the plugs. If you have a good strong spark at each plug, then the problem is fuel-related and you need to start sorting out your fuel injection. If there is no spark at the plug, then the problem is ignition related, and you need to start sorting out your ignition system. Once you know that much, we can be loads more helpful. Okay, they can be loads more helpful. I think I've just exhausted my Alfa engine knowledge.

Tim
The reason I replaced these items is because the plugs were black and the cap and rotor were corroded. Otherwise I wouldn't have. I'll try to determine if it's fuel or spark related and go from there.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I'm going to have to keep that in mind in the future, Michael. Most of my engine expertise has been acquired by trying to coax a few more seasons out of my '91 Cub Cadet. Getting down to the basics, "fuel or spark" saved me twice this season. Once it was the oil pump, and the other time it was the induction coil on the pick-up unit.

Spiders are slightly more complicated, for sure. But you still need to isolate the system--fuel, spark, or air, then methodically work through the critical bits of the system. Learning about the Bosch L-Jet system has been a real eye-opener for me. Pre-Alfa, I stuck to chainsaws, lawn mowers, and motorcycles--simple systems.

So Dan, did you sort it out yet? The L-Jet page really has some helpful info. There are a lot of pieces to it, but a number are not critical to engine running, only to engine performance under specific conditions.

Tim

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ive been absorbing the l-jet article for two days now. However, I have no spark so I'm working on that end at the moment. I cleaned all the contacts on the coil and got a more labored non-start. It went from cranking to 'not enough juice to crank'. I don't know if that means I fixed an issue with the coil and now it's pulling a lot more power to the coil than it was. I won't know until the battery finishes charging. I'll crank it in the morning and see what happens.

Although, I now know how to hot wire my car via the ignition bypass test I got from here. I promise to never use my new found power for Evil.

·
Administrator
16,621 Posts
Put a voltmeter on the battery and see what it reads during cranking. A marginal battery can crank the engine with seemingly good speed but if the available voltage drops below the ECU's (computer) threshold (approx 10.3V) the ECU does not wake up and send the signals for spark.

No spark = no signal to the drive relay = no power to fuel pumps.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Alfa Ian on this BB has an 86, after a lot of discussion and checking, he found that the ignition switch was bad. He proved this by hot wiring the switch.

Though the switch was OK to crank, the power to ignition was not there.

Best regards, Elio

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
a car I used to have had a bad bushing in the starter, it would start fine with a jumper to another car, but would not start on its own. the worn bushing caused the starter to "drag" which put a high load on the battery.
cliff

1 - 10 of 10 Posts