Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1978 Spider Veloce cranks slow when you try and strart it? I tried different batteries, I made sure the battery has a full charge (the battery is located in the trunk). Yet it still turns SLOW when you turn the key to start it. Any suggestions?

Thanks
M

·
Premium Member
13,454 Posts
Also check the ground wire that runs from the tranny to the chassis on the passenger side. It is a copper braid.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider Veloce
2 x 88 Milano Verde's

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
Don't know where you're located but if in a cold climate, thick engine oil (like 20W-50) can cause slow cranking. Also, push down the clutch pedal to disengage the trans.
If none of the above, including the electrical previously mentioned, suspect the starter.

·
Premium Member
3,568 Posts
Here's another suggestion for after you have cleaned all electrical joints and grounds; The starter solenoid passes starting current by placing a copper "Shorting bar" across two internal contacts. Over time, the contact areas on the bar become deteriorated from arcing, their resistance increases, the current drops, and the starter runs slower. On my '71 spider, I was able to disassemble the solenoid, unbolt the copper starting bar from the plunger, and reverse it's position. This provided fresh metal for the contacts, and the cranking RPM increased significantly.

My 1978 Spider Veloce cranks slow when you try and strart it? I tried different batteries, I made sure the battery has a full charge (the battery is located in the trunk). Yet it still turns SLOW when you turn the key to start it. Any suggestions?

Thanks
M

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
I had a similar problem some time ago, the bushings in the starter had worn, alowing the armature to "drag" against the field, kinda like putting on the brakes in the starter. it would turn over ok if you had another battery jumped to it, but slow on one battery.
cliff

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
That should show up during a voltage test on the battery while cranking then.

Test at the terminals proper, then while holding that, crank the engine and see how far the voltage dives.

The worse the condition of the starter bushings (provided all else is in good order of course) the lower the voltage will dump as the starter tries to short.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Had the same problem, it was a ground problem. I diagnosed it by taking a jumper cable and clamping it to the engine (the hook used to pull the engine) and the other to a clean (no paint) spot on the frame. Of course I also made sure the battery ground connect to the trunk frame was clean. Car cranked normally and started. I would guess that more than half the problems these cars have ultimately relate back to a grounding problem. Good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts