Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi ,

Can anyone tell me why the crankcase rear Oil Breather tube connection on my 67 Sprint GTV is blanked off?

The engine I have for my 65 Sprint GT has a die-cast pipe connection approx 3/4" connection in the same place.

On my 65 is cracked so i am asking do i need it or can i blank it off like the 67?

thanks,

Attachments

·
Registered
7,297 Posts
has your 67 GTV a cam cover breather and your 65 GT not....perhaps?
(and therefore has the 'road vent')

·
Registered
7,297 Posts
my 63 sprint (101/1600) had a metal pipe like this.
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/7401201-post1.html

edit: (better photo)
there were different ends (barb or no barb) for different models ...barbed type took a hose, but your non-barbed elbow would be a pipe

I believe your cracked elbow has lost a sleeve, where this pipe slides on to...as in diagram:

Attachments

·
Registered
7,346 Posts
I think it had to do with emission control that was just coming into vogue. The road draft went directly into the atmosphere (early edition) and the cam cover one vented into the air/fuel mixture in the cold air box to be burned. It was about the time Alfa bailed out of the US market in late '67 for the '68 model year because of emission controls.

It's my stab at it. Either way you need at least one or the other.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
solution

my 63 sprint (101/1600) had a metal pipe like this.
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/7401201-post1.html

edit: (better photo)
there were different ends (barb or no barb) for different models ...barbed type took a hose, but your non-barbed elbow would be a pipe

I believe your cracked elbow has lost a sleeve, where this pipe slides on to...as in diagram:
Hi thanks so much for this information today i have checked yes the cam cover on the 65 has no breather and i have found all the bits for the block breather in one of the boxes of bits the car came in.. just the crack to solve now but another piece in my big puzzle. cheers. :)

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts