Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For my 1985 GTV6: Replacing a non functioning bosch ignition module with Crane xr3000, as well as putting optical sensor in dizzy. Anyone else done this modification...I am not looking for performance upgrade, just reliability.

Issues:

which wire triggers Bosch ECU for injectors?

do you need to put in a signal amplifier between the coil or crane unit to trigger Bosch ecu fuel injection?

Recommended spark plug wires?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
I could not get the optical sensor right when I put in a Crane xr700. It was a 2L engine and the Bosch 006 distributor, which is kind of small, so that may be the reason. It would run fine and then sputter. I'd fiddle with the wheel and it would run fine again. Then sputter after a while. Over and over. I replaced it with a Pertronix induction pickup system and all was fine.

Now this was essenially the "points replacement" system, so it may not pertain to your exact year. I don't know if there were points in 1985.

Can't answer questions about the injector triggers, so, this isn't much help for you. I just thought I'd add my experience with the optical trigger part.

Good luck.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The GTV6 distributor doesnt have any means of mechanical advance built in, this is all handled by the Bosch system. You cant really add the crane system without modifying the distributor.
I sent my distributor to Ric at RML and he converted it to use advance weights and set up the curve, then installed his ignition box which is the crane 3000. His instructions show how to wire it all up, which is very easy.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
So if I understand it right, you would be going from computer controlled advance to a mechanical advance using weights ?????

How can this be good?

·
Richard Jemison
7,225 Posts
V6 12V Distributors

The 1081 GTV6 has the ignition system you want. It has the advance, Bosch pluse generator and its own high energy ignition sys. The dist will trigger the Crane unit, and will provide the signal to control the injectors as well.
You will need to disconnect the large white wire going to your coil to eliminate computer control when converting to this type timing control.

I build a distributor for my race motors that uses a Mercedes :cool:distributor from a early `80s stright six cyl. unit that I modify to fit on the Alfa. It uses a similar trigger (pulse). It triggers the racing Crane unit and gives input to the programable FI unit Al Mitchell build for me. (Megasquirt with mods)
See Pic below. It uses same dist. cap as the stock Alfa.

As for the light trigger, TOSS IT! :eek: The Pertronix conversion is much simpler & reliable & does not need a module to trigger the coil.:D

Attachments

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
car has vac advance and computer controll dwell (Bosch) There may be some additional advance by computer allowinf for temp, Baro pressure,..etc But main advance is by vac..

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Keith: there is a big vac advance plate in the middle of the dizzy on which sits the crane led. Vac advances the whole plate and everything works fine..

·
Registered
28 Posts
vacuum advance isnt the same as what would be supplied by the Bosch module or by the mechanical weights. You need the advance that would be supplied for engine RPM, in other words you have (I dont remember the correct numbers but this is close) about 12 degrees of vacuum advance and about 30 degrees of mechanical ,or what would be supplied by the Bosch system, for a total of 42 degrees advance at somewhere around 4-5000 rpm's.
I had my distributor modified to use the advance weights out of a Spider distributor, but I liked Alfar7's idea of the mercedes distributor.
By having the springs and weights you can change how fast or slow the advance comes into play and how much mechanical advance you need.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts