Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I've just finished reinstalling the left and right knee pads on my '91 Spider after having the tach repaired (Palo Alto!) and the heater valve replaced (Nick Falcone Enterprises!). I also replaced parts and boots on all of the consoles - long, tough process (but WHAT a learning experience!). Everything is working correctly, except for the courtesy lights that are attached to the knee pads, but that's not my reason for opening this topic. Maybe it should be?

What I just noticed for the first time today (2 days after I finished the job) is a faint "crackling" noise, that almost sounds like it could be a small spark caused by an improper connection. I stuck my ear down there, unhooked and lowered the fusebox and found that it was definitely emanating from there. It continues as I drive. If I shut off the car after 5 minutes, it continues, even with the key turned off. None of the lights dim and the running of the car seems unaffected. But then, after running and driving for about 10 minutes, it stops.

As far as I know, the box isn't damaged but it did take a bit of a beating when I adjusted the left knee pad trying to get it reinstalled.

I'm mainly concerned that something might...catch on fire?

J. Lowden

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
Maybe the noise is coming from a relay? Perhaps pull the relays one by one and see if the noise stops.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Carry a fire extinguisher!!

Follow Papajam's advice. see if you can use your sense of touch to isolate the noise.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts