Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Discovered this today - it doesn't look good. My question is what does that bolt do, is there a bush or a bearing inside?
Regards to all and grateful for any advice
Matthew
IMG_0323.jpeg

·
Registered
7,808 Posts
yep, that is just a pinch bolt....there will always be a gap there...someone went crazy with that one!
(looks like they even broke the thread where one of the column switch screws into)

column.jpg

you're not the only one though...
Cracked Column Mount

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
There is a bushing inside, but not in the area of the pinch not. Replacement is not a major mess but requires pulling out the steering wheel. There are some different ones, try to find one form around the same year and model.

I wouldn't be too concerned about it, the steering won't fall off. But ddo plan to find a good one and install it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to all for advice and links. My car is a 1973 GTV 2000, so with deep dish steering wheel and shorter steering column.

·
Super Moderator
10,375 Posts
I wouldn't be too concerned about it, the steering won't fall off. But do plan to find a good one and install it.
Agree with yvesmontreal that the broken column mount should be replaced someday, but the car isn't dangerous to drive as-is.

Replacement is not a major mess but requires pulling out the steering wheel.
If your GT has a steering lock, you'll need to either swap your existing ignition switch over to the replacement mount or use the lock & key that comes with the replacement. In addition to removing the steering wheel, you'll need to transfer the headlight & turn signal switch - not a big deal, but DO disconnect the battery first.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Where are you in the UK? Im Oxfordshire and have a spare but would need to confirm it is the same as yours - can only really do that once yours is removed. Can email me vespaloco at yahoo dot com
Tom

1 - 12 of 12 Posts