Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As you can see, I've got a pretty significant crack in my exhaust manifold that has been there since I purchased my '84 S3. I've finally gotten around to getting a replacement, as well as new rubber exhaust hangers. Anything else I should consider replacing/checking to avoid this happening in the future?

Also, is there anyway to secure the heat shield on the downpipe that attaches just underneath this so the shield doesn't rattle?

Thanks in advance,

David

Attachments

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
While you're at it, check your motor mounts too.
Alfa engines move around when under load.
If your mounts are sagging, your drive shaft and exhaust system won't have proper alignment and space to move around.
If you have a fan attached to the water pump with a shroud, check the clearance there as well.
I had an ANSA header crack on an Alfetta GT because of poor motor mounts that put too much stress on the 1 - 4 branch.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
While you're at it, check your motor mounts too.
Alfa engines move around when under load.
If your mounts are sagging, your drive shaft and exhaust system won't have proper alignment and space to move around.
If you have a fan attached to the water pump with a shroud, check the clearance there as well.
I had an ANSA header crack on an Alfetta GT because of poor motor mounts that put too much stress on the 1 - 4 branch.
Good advice; I already replaced the motor mounts (real pain in the a..) about a year ago.

·
Registered
7,278 Posts
4 new copper gaskets and the big one for the downpipe joint....got them, right?

Have you checked the 2 rubber bushings on the transmission to exhaust bracket......they get pretty mushy if contaminated with oil. Replacing them keeps things tight down there, not expensive and fairly easy job.
these, I mean:
https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/1117480-post2.html

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
4 new copper gaskets and the big one for the downpipe joint....got them, right?

Have you checked the 2 rubber bushings on the transmission to exhaust bracket......they get pretty mushy if contaminated with oil. Replacing them keeps things tight down there, not expensive and fairly easy job.
these, I mean:
https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/1117480-post2.html
Yes, I decided to go with the copper gaskets from Classic Alfa including the large one for the downpipe. I also have the 2 rubber bushings and I'll read up on installing them since I'll be under the car anyway.

Thanks for the tip.

David

·
Registered
187 Posts
I bought mt S3 with a snapped manifold in exactly the same spot. I bought a new one, all new copper gaskets and seems ok now. Not sure why they break at the location.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts