Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the forum and have enjoyed reviewing the many threads in restoring an Alfa. I currently own a 1989 Spider Veloce and have been working on its restoration. I recently noticed that there is a sizable crack in the down-pipe connected after the manifold. I am attempting to restore my Alfa to its original and pristine condition and I am unaware of what effects this gash will have on the functionality of the exhaust system. I do have an idle adjustment problem when cold, but the rest seems fine. Are they related? Anything I should be concerned with? Your advice is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
14,025 Posts
Blowing hot exhaust gasses under your hood is not good and it will get progressively worse.

·
Registered
8,104 Posts
just get the downpipe replaced...that is just going to get worse till it falls off!

OK, if you are (if the flag is correct) in Cuba, then not so easy I suppose...
Is your spider a USA or Europe model? (ie. is the exhaust manifold a one piece, USA.... or a two piece, European unit...see photo)
US and EU exhaust.jpg
Does it have a catalytic converter or not?

if it is a euro exhaust, most european/UK shops will have the part.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Good advice above, although I don't see a crack in the pipe. Looks like a rusty, split heat shield that is a common occurrence on S3 Spiders. The main symptom will be an annoying vibration that you may be able to eliminate with a big hose clamp around it or by removing the rusty shield.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
just get the downpipe replaced...that is just going to get worse till it falls off!

OK, if you are (if the flag is correct) in Cuba, then not so easy I suppose...
Is your spider a USA or Europe model? (ie. is the exhaust manifold a one piece, USA.... or a two piece, European unit...see photo)
View attachment 1615814
Does it have a catalytic converter or not?

if it is a euro exhaust, most european/UK shops will have the part.
I thank you for your prompt response. The flag is from Puerto Rico where all federal car safety regulations are applicable. My Spider is a US model and has a catalytic converter. The exhaust manifold is one piece (like the rusted one in your photograph) and is attached to a down-pipe where the gash is located. Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good advice above, although I don't see a crack in the pipe. Looks like a rusty, split heat shield that is a common occurrence on S3 Spiders. The main symptom will be an annoying vibration that you may be able to eliminate with a big hose clamp around it or by removing the rusty shield.
You are right. What I describe as a "gash" maybe just a split heat shield. I will look into it. Thanks.

·
Registered
8,104 Posts
I thank you for your prompt response. The flag is from Puerto Rico where all federal car safety regulations are applicable. My Spider is a US model and has a catalytic converter. The exhaust manifold is one piece (like the rusted one in your photograph) and is attached to a down-pipe where the gash is located. Thanks!
sorry, of course Puerto Rico....red/white stripes (not blue/white stripes for Cuba)
I should know that, a friend over here is from PR!

I never heard of a heatshield on the downpipes, but in fact, reading up a bit, there was one on the original exhaust system....
as here:
1988 Spider Buzzing At 3000 RPM

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
sorry, of course Puerto Rico....red/white stripes (not blue/white stripes for Cuba)
I should know that, a friend over here is from PR!

I never heard of a heatshield on the downpipes, but in fact, reading up a bit, there was one on the original exhaust system....
as here:
1988 Spider Buzzing At 3000 RPM
Great input. I really appreciate it. I would like to replace the entire exhaust on the Spider. I am inclined to get the one provided by Centerline with ceramic coating and the Stinger Tail Pipe but the shipping cost to San Juan are outrageous. Almost as much as the part itself. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
81 Posts
****, how nice would it be to drive our spiders around the island of PR. Nice. I thought I had a crack in my down pipe exactly where you think your's is. As stated above, it was simply the heat shield separating from the pipe. Start the car and put your hand by that area. If there is a leak you will feel it. As for the cold idle issue, it's pretty common for these cars. Do a little research here on the auxiliary air valve and cold start injector. Both can cause a hard start, rough, cold idle issue. Somewhere here there are instructions on how to make a home built, effective AAV. As for the exhaust, try rockauto.com. I bought my stinger from them and it was pretty cheap and sounds great. The shipping to PR I don't know.

·
Registered
8,104 Posts
I would like to replace the entire exhaust on the Spider. I am inclined to get the one provided by Centerline with ceramic coating and the Stinger Tail Pipe but the shipping cost to San Juan are outrageous.
If I were replacing that type of exhaust, I would be getting rid of that restrictive one piece USA manifold and fitting the much better euro 2 piece manifold (from pre-74 spider, I think, in USA)
then of course you'd need downpipes to match the euro manifold.
then weld in a magnaflow cat with O² sensor and then either a stock rear, or stinger.

(smog regs. in PR permitting)

·
Premium Member
86 Veloce
908 Posts
Funny you say that, Dom. That is exactly what a PO did to my car. Today is the day whether I see if I can bust the nuts loose at the manifold/downpipe flange... been soaking for 3 days and I have some nut extractors standing by....?

·
Premium Member
4,532 Posts
Take the cat off. Cut the rest of the heat shield off and weld up the pipe if it has a hole in it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts