Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I rebuilt the combination of bushings and rubber cushion at the top of the steering column. However, when reinstalling I over-tightened and cracked the aluminum housing where it is split and acts like a clamp on the bushing.

Anyone ever experience this? How difficult is it to find a replacement and replace? Do I have to remove the entire column?

Thanks,

Michael.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Hi,

I rebuilt the combination of bushings and rubber cushion at the top of the steering column. However, when reinstalling I over-tightened and cracked the aluminum housing where it is split and acts like a clamp on the bushing.

Anyone ever experience this? How difficult is it to find a replacement and replace? Do I have to remove the entire column?

Thanks,

Michael.
Hi Michael. What year and model are we Talking about. Your Avitar shows a GTV.

You might get the housing out after removing steering wheel, shroud and anything else blocking it at the top. You might have to loosen the steering box if the column and box are hard bolted together (as opposed to the u-jointed type). This is to give a bit of wiggle room and also prevent stressing the Steering Box.

Then you need to determine which type column you need as there are long/short/newer types.

If for GTV/Spider up to 1975 I may have one for you.

or you could have yours weld repaired.

Email me at kendgb at aol dott com

Ciao

Ken

·
Richard Jemison
7,071 Posts
Clamp

Post a pic of it.

Often such can be resolved with a clamp fix. Basically cut off the tabs for the bolt on both pieces and using epoxy on the broken part and clamp around it with a good all stainless screw clamp.
Maybe just epoxy the bushing in the aluminum holder?

·
Premium Member
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Column Tube Removal

Hi Michael. What year and model are we Talking about. Your Avitar shows a GTV.

You might get the housing out after removing steering wheel, shroud and anything else blocking it at the top. You might have to loosen the steering box if the column and box are hard bolted together (as opposed to the u-jointed type). This is to give a bit of wiggle room and also prevent stressing the Steering Box.

Then you need to determine which type column you need as there are long/short/newer types.

If for GTV/Spider up to 1975 I may have one for you.

or you could have yours weld repaired.

Email me at kendgb at aol dott com

Ciao

Ken
Thanks Ken. It's a 74 GTV with a u-joint type column and burman box.

Clearly I need to pull the housing out for a proper repair or replacement. There's a large nut (and snap ring?) on the far end of the housing (tube) that the shaft goes through and proceeds through the firewall. I'm hoping I don't have to deal with that.

·
Premium Member
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cracked Tube

Post a pic of it.

Often such can be resolved with a clamp fix. Basically cut off the tabs for the bolt on both pieces and using epoxy on the broken part and clamp around it with a good all stainless screw clamp.
Maybe just epoxy the bushing in the aluminum holder?
Hi RJ,

I agree that it doesn't seem too critical and JB Weld and hose clamps would probably suffice. I'll post a pic when I remove it.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Boy good progress. That should do it.

I wonder if you can measure distance between shroud mounting holes. red arrows in picture. and the over all length.

Thx
Ken

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Measurements

Boy good progress. That should do it.

I wonder if you can measure distance between shroud mounting holes. red arrows in picture. and the over all length.

Thx
Ken
Overall length is 16 and 3/4 inches. The distance between the shroud mounting holes is 7 and 1/2 inches.

Thanks for the help/advice.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
Hi all I'm dealing with the same exact problem, except I'm at further disadvantage of being ignorant of the function of the pinch bolt. Is its only function to retain the brass bushing?

What keeps the steering shaft from moving fore-aft on its splines? Is it just the large nut at the splined coupling? When I snug this nut down I see space between the nut and the steering column carrier. Is that incorrect?

Attachments

·
Registered
336 Posts
@r-mm thanks for the pics and exploded diagram. It looks like the answer is ‘yes’ that’s the only purpose for the pinch bolt, but perhaps more knowledgeables will pipe up. As we discussed in my PROGRESS!! Thread, I have the same crack. I’m trying to find a “new” one. Anybody have a source for the bushing and the other 3 parts that go in to ‘top’ of the column tube, right below the steering wheel? If I am taking it all apart, I am going to put it back together with better parts. I may end up doing a billet aluminum and delrin bushing.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
Does anyone know if the weld in the steering column is original?

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
With the help of a good friend and excellent machinist we dressed the shaft and machined a replacement for this bushing from solid delrin. Won’t be back at the car for a few days but will likely post a thread on my findings. The bushing is split to allow it to be installed.

IMG_6696.jpg IMG_6698.jpg IMG_6700.jpg IMG_6702.jpg

1 - 15 of 15 Posts