Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While doing some work on my spider (see thread about "not bad for 27 years old"
I noticed that the harness side of my CPS connector has a serious problem. Looks like the connector was kinked pretty good and with age, has cracked. The wire conductors are exposed and potentially frayed but still conduct a signal (my car was running although I did notice a few little issues).

I have to figure out the best way to repair the connections. I'm handy with electronics and can repair the connections if I have enough wire to work with. I don't know if I can find a replacement connector
Sorry for the crappy picture but my camera when dead after I took it.

Any other repair suggestions are appreciated.

Attachments

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
You might get a good chunk of whip off a car being stripped in the parts for sale subsection.
Usually people aren't to hot for harnesses or bits there off, so you may have some fair pickin's.

Or, as there's BMW's out there with the same type sensors, perhaps a local yard would have one you could cut the connectors out of for a small fee.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Local pick n pull shows no BMW's but I'll check out the classifieds. Thanks.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,930 Posts
That a two wire connector? IAP has them new, P/N 16887. Chop off the old, splice in the new.

Those Bosch connectors get a bit brittle with age so I wouldn't bother messing with used ones while new are available.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,930 Posts
Ah, you said CPS. It was even odds whether you really meant CTS or TPS :D

·
Registered
what part?
9,988 Posts
if you got the time...remove the f.i harness.. one by one, cut each wire clean slip on some heat srink tubeing, solder each wire togeather, slip the heat s. tubing on the wire, srink, next wire.. untill compleate, the wrap 4-5 wires each in electrical tape( why 4-5 wires? to alow movement/ flex in jst a few wire, as compared to the whole bunch..i.e. more flex, less chaffing) then after you have finished this task wrap all the wires togeather.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here's the situation now...

Started to mess with the connector to see if the conductors were exposed or broken. Luckily, it is just the outer jacket of the wire assembly that was split. The individual wires are intact and I can work to repair the jacket.

When I was messing with it, the other side of the connector (sensor side) disintegrated as I handled it! No kidding, it just fell apart. The sensor is fine (checked with my meter 950 ohms). I plan to repair the connection while I get a new sensor.

Attachments

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Correction, it was the computer side that fell apart.
As an update, the other sensor connector acted the same way...slight cracking in rubber jacket on sensor side. I disconnted to repair and clean contacts and the 'puter side falls apart.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts