Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I needed to replace both of my cowl drain hoses on my 1976 S2, but didn't want to spend $60 plus shipping for new ones from the IAP/Centerline (I know some people frown upon not using parts with 'guaranteed' fitment, but my budget requires me to look for alternatives).

I came across a post from an old thread which vaguely mentioned DAYCO part number E71604 from Advance Autoparts (and Amazon). I thought I would add to this lead, so I picked up just such a hose and I hope the following pictures adequately demonstrate its fitment. The diameter of the hose is perfect. All I had to do was use soap to run it through. The curves are exactly the same. All that is required is to cut the last ~7 inches off the hose. This hose is a radiator hose - so I would think it would be of much higher quality than other types of drainage hoses.

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
For earlier 105 drain hose, you could go to your local recycling centre and find something appropriate from the back of an old washing machine. I think the modern term for this is 'upcycling'.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Great tip !!

My cowl hoses are rotted so your post is timely.

Thanks for posting.

·
Premium Member
3,868 Posts
Thanks for the tip.

These hoses work on 91-94 Spiders as well. Mine is a 91.

I went to my local parts store to pick up a pair. They didn't have the Haynes exact part but a substitute from Prestone 83247. There were also some other numbers on the tag. $25 Canadian each. I'm happy with the price. No shipping and handling and it was available as soon as I wanted it.

Tire Auto part Hose Pipe Automotive tire

Hose Auto part Wire

For my 91 with AC, I had to shorten both ends. The AC box on the passenger side gets in the way so the first bend that attaches to the cowl drain has to be the same. I lined up with the old hose and cut the extra off.

Pipe Auto part

For those thinking of using clear tube from local big box store, this is what happens!

Pipe Auto part

That's the bend right at the cowl drain, under the dash. It was full of crap and wouldn't let any water through.

All the same effort is required to install the tube, so spend the extra $15 and do it right! DPO!

Thanks again,

Vin

Reactions: autobroker

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
How timely! I just put the clear vinyl hose in as a stop gap measure until I could search for this post. Short term, the floors are dry after a week of daily rains here. Now to go get a pair of those hoses.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,868 Posts
How timely! I just put the clear vinyl hose in as a stop gap measure until I could search for this post. Short term, the floors are dry after a week of daily rains here. Now to go get a pair of those hoses.

Thanks
Good to hear.

If you are going with these hoses, the installation is easier, since you are cutting off the ends anyways. Heres a picture to explain.

Red Close-up Wood

I saw here on the BB but cant remember where and give that person the credit, but on the end that will be cut anyways, I put 2 small holes in the hose and ran a wire hanger through the holes.

This allowed me to fish the wire through the hole in the firewall, and then pull the hose through.

After thoroughly soaping up the grommet in the firewall and the entire hose with dishsoap, I was amazed at how easy the tube was installed.

The passenger side was relatively easy. The driver side took most of our time due to the gear clamp holding the hose to the drain.

It has to be reached from underneath. We used a variety of 1/4" extensions and wobbly heads but it took the longest and my neck is killing me today. :)

If they only made those gear clamps with the turning screw pointed down, this would have been an easy job.

Good luck,

Vin

·
Registered
27 Posts
Good work, and well explained. I just bought a pair at my auto parts store and will takle the issue soon. Anything else to know ?
Don Jamieson
'84 Spider Veloce.

·
Premium Member
2,867 Posts
Alfa

I have several OEM hoses from teardowns. Happy to send for
shipping $$$ only. Remember they are still 30+ years old.
Cheers, Jon

·
Premium Member
2,302 Posts
Don't know who did the research to discover the Dayco hose that could be used to replace the original ones but my hat is off to that person. I would buy him a beer.
Got a Dayco from Advance and a Gates from O'reilly but the same hose.
THey work GREAT!
Thanks

Reactions: Evildad

·
Registered
977 Posts
Just ordered 1 online from local Advanced Auto store. There was only 1 in stock so I'll order a second hose from a different store.
Hose retails for $21. Used a 25% off coupon WIKI25 and a $10 'SpeedPerks' coupon....$10 total with tax.

·
Premium Member
2,302 Posts
Just ordered 1 online from local Advanced Auto store. There was only 1 in stock so I'll order a second hose from a different store.
Hose retails for $21. Used a 25% off coupon WIKI25 and a $10 'SpeedPerks' coupon....$10 total with tax.
I found the same thing but any of the big chain stores can cross over the Dayco part number. I have one Dayco and one Gates. Identical

·
Registered
74 Posts
HI,
Just finished replacing the cowl drain hose on the drivers side! What a tough fit. Used the Gates #21605 hose. Had to use a Dremel tool on the inside of the end that fits over the cowl end fitting the gates is just a tad to short. Spent hours trying to get a socket over the cowl fitting clamp. Gave up used a ratcheting type tie wrap seems OK no pressure on the hose mostly removes wash water and some rain water from the cowl. Keep the hose as long as possible before cutting off the end under the wheel well. The 90deg end fits over the cowl fitting.
If your drain hose is leaking fix it as the water will fill up the relays on the fuse panel. Caused blown fuses for the head lights (drove home with high beams) The directional signal relay was full of gunky water cleaned it all out and worked fine. Any way replace the hose probably easier to use the Alfa part #60518846 I think. As they said it's a ***** to change out having my second rum & Coke.
GordZ

·
Registered
168 Posts
Excellent thread, thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,302 Posts
HI,
Just finished replacing the cowl drain hose on the drivers side! What a tough fit. Used the Gates #21605 hose. Had to use a Dremel tool on the inside of the end that fits over the cowl end fitting the gates is just a tad to short. Spent hours trying to get a socket over the cowl fitting clamp. Gave up used a ratcheting type tie wrap seems OK no pressure on the hose mostly removes wash water and some rain water from the cowl. Keep the hose as long as possible before cutting off the end under the wheel well. The 90deg end fits over the cowl fitting.
If your drain hose is leaking fix it as the water will fill up the relays on the fuse panel. Caused blown fuses for the head lights (drove home with high beams) The directional signal relay was full of gunky water cleaned it all out and worked fine. Any way replace the hose probably easier to use the Alfa part #60518846 I think. As they said it's a * to change out having my second rum & Coke.
GordZ
As long as you don't run out of rum and coke, you will be okay🍹

·
Registered
1964 Giulia Sprint GT
124 Posts
This is great. Thanks for sharing. Does anyone know if this hack also applies to Giulia Sprint GT or stepnose in general?

·
Registered
74 Spider 78 Spider 84 Spider
976 Posts
It seems that sharp bend the hose must make right under scuttle is the real "issue" with finding a suitable alternative. I've wondered about a short 90' hose barb of some type. Basically use 2 straight hoses with just a super short piece from the scuttle to the 90 degree barb and then a long straight run thru the firewall and out?

·
Registered
1987 Spider
47 Posts
Just swapped hoses on my '87 tonight, using the Gates 21605 hoses.

Driver's side was super easy, taking 10 minutes. Lowered the fuse box for easy access. Pulled the old one out into the cabin and slid the new one in via the cabin too. Used some lemon scent Simple Green to make the hose slippery.

Passenger side was a little tougher, as I had to pull the hose out through the wheel well and push the new one in that way too. No need for fancy wires or dowels, just line up the hose with the hole and push it through. Notice the angle of the end cut on the old hose where it attached to the cowl drain. I cut my new hose off square, but turns out an angle cut worked better since the hose doesn't sit square on the coupler because of the bend at the AC box.

The Gates hoses fit perfectly and had just the right curves. $10 each on Amazon.

Hardest part was putting all the little screws back in the glove compartment.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts