Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, guys

What size is the Cowel Drain hose for a 1984 Alfa Spider. I see that international sells one. Can I buy some hose material at a auto parts place and make it work? I was wondering if the hose is specifically formed for the Alfa

I also need to know what size it is Length, Plus width.

Thanks for your replies guys

Angel

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
People have managed to fabricate it as the size isn't that hard to match, but the real issue comes with the radical bends it takes between point A and B. Lotta off the shelf stuff just collapses and pinches the hose shut while it's being installed or not long after.

Hence the factory hoses, while expensive, are permanantly molded into the proper shape and won't do that.

That being said, I've heard rumor that the ribbed hose or the stuff with a spring in it used for swimming pool type stuff might suit.

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,041 Posts
The gray spring-loaded type OE on a '69 will form to fit. Don't know about the diameters but I'd assume it's the same. Does your model have duck lips at the bottom? I never could figure out why they were there, to keep snakes and mice out?

·
Super Moderator
11,221 Posts
Here in the US, boating supply and hardware stores sell something called "bilge hose" that looks a LOT like the cowl drain hose used on 105/115 Alfas. It comes in white or black, instead of grey like the stuff from Alfa, but otherwise it looks pretty good. And it's cheap.

The problem is that is doesn't fit. I'm just pulling these numbers from memory, so don't rely on them, but the bilge hose comes in inch sizes, and the 1-1/4" id stuff looks about right. The problem is that the bung beneath the Alfa cowl is 32mm in diameter, which works out to 1.260". And while that extra 10 thou may not sound like much, since the hose is wire reinforced, you just can't expand it.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input guys. Now home depot has some stuff called braided vinyl line that's used for pools and spas i believe they have it in 11/4 size the only thing is that it is clear. To me that wont make any matter because its where it wont be seen do you think that would work

Angel

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,041 Posts
PS: if the bulkhead grommets look crisp, they can be had from the usual suspects also, as well as the OE hose.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
What's the problem with just ordering it from IAP.

·
Super Moderator
11,221 Posts
What's the problem with just ordering it from IAP.
Yea, that's what I was trying to convey in my posting from earlier today.

Angel:

Again, unless you have measured the OD of the bung under the cowel, and confirmed that it is 1-1/4", please don't rely on my memory that that's the size. Also, check the id of the grommet on the firewall - thick-walled tubing may fit the bung, but be too fat to go through the grommet. Lastly, any kind of unreinforced tubing may kink as it bends, especially when subjected to the heat of the engine compartment.

·
Registered
what part?
10,119 Posts
ace hardware store.. get that white plastic hose.. has ribs so it can curve easy, without kinking...i think i have a photo of it onmy car, will post sunday eve. when i have time..

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Classic alfa in the UK sell the genuine article and they fit perfectly (1982/S3). Just bought a pair for 12.50 pounds st. each. Bends are in all the right places. Part WA046/1. These hoses are listed for an '88-'93 model but are identical to ones that came off my '82.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I fixed my cracked and leaking drain hoses by inserting a smaller diameter hose inside the existing factory hoses. There are several advantages with this.
1- readily available at any hardware store. The the ID of the cowl nipples is the same as the OD of common size tube, either 1'' or 1 1/8'' , don't recall now and car is in storage.
2- low cost
3-fast and easy -no need to disassemble and go deep under the dashboard. just feed it in from above the cowl and pull it through from underneath with the help of some steel wire tied to the beginning of the new tube, and some light lube to make it slippery.
4- the new tube follows the shape of the old, and kinks will not happen because there is no space between the two layers of hoses.

Trim off the new tube flush at both ends. Seal with silicone caulking at the top around the lip of the new tube.

You now have a factory stock looking drain tube with a new leakproof liner.
The only minor disadvantage is a slightly reduced ID, which I don't feel is a real issue.

**credits** this procedure was previously described by a BB member, but I am not able to find the exact source. Thanks much, great tip!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts