Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, With Covid on the loose, and So Cal Alfa club stuff on hold, I've been filling some of my time playing around with stained glass projects...some of them Alfa themed...This one is an attempt at my '71 GTV apexing a corner at a time trial.

Laguna Seca511.jpg

And here a work still in progress on a slightly stylized version of the ALFA logo.

alfa art 2.jpg

I'm new at this and it takes me a lot of time, but it seems to go by fast...kinda like my lap times.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's REALLY excellent! What's the diameter? I think the one I'm working on is about 11". I'm not very good with details yet. Also is yours leaded? I'm still working only with solder.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
I did not make it so I cannot take the credit. I acquired it from someone I knew who was moving out of state. It is leaded, I’m not with it now but it’s either 20 or 24” diameter.

·
Registered
7,312 Posts
I did not make it so I cannot take the credit. I acquired it from someone I knew who was moving out of state. It is leaded, I’m not with it now but it’s either 20 or 24” diameter.
I was just going to ask if you made it!

Looks really nice.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One of these days I'll graduate to lead. I had started weekly classes just before Christmas. Then Covid popped up and we had to postpone. Still I'm practicing and hitting You-Tubes to try to learn more.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was able to procure some more of the mottled green glass to finish the serpent. It's been cleaned up and then polished (I like to use Mequire's Carnuba). Then I applied the copper patina to the solder.

ALFA Logo 6.jpg ALFA Logo 7.jpg

Today I'll start making a Mission style Red Oak frame for the glass.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ALFA Logo 11.jpg

I decided a 4-sided frame would not be right for this glass, work so I went back and trimmed the corners. The frame will be an octagon, still made of red oak. I'm not sure how much harder this will be.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, it took a while but I finished the frame. I decided to hang the logo it in a screened-in front porch we have on one corner of our house.

ALFA Logo 12.jpg ALFA Logo16.jpg

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks V.
Cranbrook...you must have some awesome scenery and Alfa roads up there. My first GTV, a burgundy '73, took my wife and I through there on rts. 93 and 95 back in 1976. Too long ago for me to recall particulars. It was the top of our loop out of the Los Angeles area. Great trip.

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
Yup, lots of fun driving in the neighbourhood. I described some of the better ones in my father’s day car show thread.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Had Covid-19 not happened, we had reservations to visit Yellowstone Park now with our extended family (We were going to drive the Giulia TI up). All those plans got scrapped of course. So another project during this Wuhan Virus was to bring a little bit of "Yellowstone" to our home.

Yellowstone Grizzley.jpg

It's a bit of a shadowbox idea with fore-, mid- and background layers of stained glass, with 1/2" separation. The Grizzly bear and frame are made of red oak.

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
Hey guys, With Covid on the loose, and So Cal Alfa club stuff on hold, I've been filling some of my time playing around with stained glass projects...some of them Alfa themed...This one is an attempt at my '71 GTV apexing a corner at a time trial.

View attachment 1630239

And here a work still in progress on a slightly stylized version of the ALFA logo.

View attachment 1630244

I'm new at this and it takes me a lot of time, but it seems to go by fast...kinda like my lap times.
There was someone else in the SOCAL club that was into stained glass projects. It was a long time ago, but he made a beautiful Alfa hanging lamp that was entered in the art show at one of the National Conventions. His name escapes me right now, but he owned a white 2600 that he drove regularly and hollered at me while I was pulling Pat and my son on Sunset Boulevard in a red wagon in front of LA Children's Hospital.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi Cheryl, I wasn't into this hobby until a few months ago. If it was back when the National was put on by Jack Becronis and AROSC committee, that was when we could still T-T and race at Riverside I R. I was a young teacher then and now I've been retired 12 years! I think the only other in Cal was San Diego some years later. In any case I don't know who that might have been. Andy

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
Hi Cheryl, I wasn't into this hobby until a few months ago. If it was back when the National was put on by Jack Becronis and AROSC committee, that was when we could still T-T and race at Riverside I R. I was a young teacher then and now I've been retired 12 years! I think the only other in Cal was San Diego some years later. In any case I don't know who that might have been. Andy
It took some searching through old posts and threads, but I found his name: Al Cortez. This was in the 1980s, which would have been when Jack Becronis was active in SOCAL.

I have always liked stained glass and was going to take a class after I finished my Master's Degree, but kids, Pat's death etc. always got in the way and now that I have the time, I can barely sign my name let alone do something that requires fine manipulation and steadiness.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts