Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Al Cortes, as far as I know is doing fine. I saw him 2 years, maybe 3 years ago at the French /Italian car show in Woodley Park. He had this custom made classic with modern running gear.

al cortez.jpg

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
More Covid isolation therapy...

Andy's stained glass 3.jpg

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
More Covid isolation therapy...

View attachment 1636957
Wonderful! A combination of two things I know and love. The dog looks just like my Doxador of long ago, Domino; and framed with the wooden carved bears I see every year at the tractor show in Lyndon, Washington. Yeah, I've been known to drive a tractor in the parade.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Were tractors part of your childhood back ground? I sat on my grandfathers '51 Farmall M when I was about 6, playing "farmer", anyway I got it out of gear and released the brake and went for a ride down a slight hill...all ended well, except for my rear end. Later in life I remained a butt of jokes.

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
My grandfather was raised on a farm in Missouri so he had all kinds of stories to tell about being pulled out of school to bring in the harvest and various other adventures. Some time after Pat died I reconnected with an Alfisti that I had met some years earlier that was raised on a farm and had many similar stories about driving tractors down the streets to the store to get treats as kids, riding on hay bales hanging out of the back of a pick-up truck etc. before the city became developed. Believe me being raised that way, they can fix anything and just have a different combination of life skills and how to use equipment to fix various things. That's where my appreciation of tractors and experiences was acquired. But before that when Pat had taken me back to Michigan, he took me to a friends farm and I was shocked -- the land wasn't flat but dippy or furrowed in rows, not easy to walk across plus the tractor was huge and had an air-conditioned cab and stereo. A total learning experience for a city girl. Pat also had a farm, but much smaller in comparison, so I had sat on a much smaller tractor at his farm. The oldest tractor I've ever ridden on, not driven, was a Rumely with metal wheels.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
This one's an imaginary place...but again inspired by our Covid cancelled trip to Yellowstone. I'm sticking with making the frames from red oak .

Stained Glass.jpg

Aren't there other members out there doing stained glass?

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I decided these two belonged together. The lighting for the apexing GTV was poor in it's first setting so I moved it out to the day porch to hang out with the logo.

alfa duo2.jpg
alfa duo1.jpg

Reactions: ShortFinSoup

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I'm posting here a tribute to a friend the Alfa Romeo Owners of Southern California lost not long ago.

I met Phil Guiral first when we both time-trialed in the same Alfa class at RIR. We were able to drive that iconic track until it closed and then we shared experiences at
Willow Springs, Las Vegas, Buttonwillow, Laguna Seca, Parrump, Fontana as well as the various roads and freeways leading to and from those tracks. While I remained in
the time-trial classification, Phil moved on to our racing group in an early model green Miata. He also contributed his time and efforts with our club as a sought after driving instructor.

Phil also spent time at various concourse events both as a participant and as a judge. His knowledge and willingness to share in all things automobile, racing and life in general made him the epitome of a modern Renaissance gentleman. Phil will be missed by me and many, many more.

The idea behind this piece came to me over time. Phil love surfing and paddle boarding. How to include those into his love of racing his Miata thru the twisty-turnies in a stained glass design??? That was the biggest challenge. The design drawings were too busy. Eventually I simplified the by having the roadway rise over the beach and
ocean as it ascended to Phil's new home. Those who knew and loved Phil would get it.

I really hope Phi's wife Susan, daughter Kylie, other relatives and close friends enjoy this effort. I hope they give it a name and smile as they pass by.

Phil.jpg

Reactions: sidewaysalfa

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Got this done early for Thanksgiving to be a part of our table arrangement. One more mountain/nature scene to go, then back to an ALFA theme of some sort.

Andy's stained glass 2.jpg

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
It's been a while...my postponed carpal tunnel procedure due to Wuhan virus is finally done.
This is for my Alfa owner son's birthday. (Also late because of the carpal tunnel limitations). I made the serpent a little more aggressive than the one I made for myself...(he's been besting me at the track lately.)
Also some of the glass colors are different.
It's diameter is 1" larger.

Reactions: Air1936

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
That is really great. I do stained glass as well, and I've been thinking of doing an Alfa logo ever since I started. You're going to push me ahead.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Thanks you. It's a great way to focus " the good". Have fun with your next effort.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts