Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking for a solution to an air cleaner for Weber 40’s. Can’t seem to find a decent euro set up. Wondering if anyone has converted / modified a Spica box to use with carbs. If so, love to see how it was done.

·
Registered
943 Posts
This is the one I like. It will also will accommodate the short 25mm (parabolic)
horns inside the filter said to give a 6 - 8% boost.

You should also install the support.

·
Super Moderator
11,660 Posts
What are the relative lengths of the Spica ports and Weber DCOE's? My guess is that the Webers are longer, so coupling a Spica airbox to them would extend it out into the fenderwell area. In other words, a Spica box would interfere with the body when used with carbs.

Air filters intended for Alfa - Weber applications, like the Pipercross unit mentioned in post #2 or the factory filter assemblies, tend to be slimmer than a Spica box.

But hey, I've never tried what you propose; perhaps it could be done.

·
--ADMINISTRATOR--chiuso per ferie
13,141 Posts
If you have the manifold, the other bits are easy to find. The GTs and Berlinas use a different box than a Spider.

·
Registered
138 Posts
The original euro carb airboxes are very good. Go with the cylindrical carb side air filter. One of the plenums osso shows above is for the crossover type. You want the other one (second link). Not hard to find. Any of the carb side mounted air boxes work. The only differences are the intake/snout - which depends on the location of the radiator overflow reservoir as well as body style. But, this can be modified to work in any case. I recently replaced open air horns on a track car with a modified stock can and gained power. Open up the inner tube and add good cold intake.

·
Banned
14,996 Posts
I recently replaced open air horns on a track car with a modified stock can and gained power. Open up the inner tube and add good cold intake.
I agree with that. Air horns create a dip in the torque curve. Alfar7 posted dyno charts of an engine with a modified air box that made 230 HP on Jim Steck's engine dyno.

·
Registered
273 Posts
The Piper cross won't fit without some work (at least on a 1600) and I could not get bell mouths taller than 16mm to fit as you can't get the housing past the horns without clashing with inner wing

·
Registered
870 Posts
Installed the Pipercross on my 72 GT today. Has a 2L and Weber 40's. No issues with the install.

Do you really need to install the support strut and support plate? Didn't plan on installing on mine if I don't have to.

·
Registered
273 Posts
If your using rubber carb mounts fit the support, if solid you won't need it
How easy is it to remove the housing from the back plate when it's on the car?
Mine is now fitted to a 2 liter engine and it's still a struggle to get it fitted, I can't get enough angle to engage the lower tabs without the housing hitting the inner wing

·
Registered
870 Posts
If your using rubber carb mounts fit the support, if solid you won't need it
How easy is it to remove the housing from the back plate when it's on the car?
Mine is now fitted to a 2 liter engine and it's still a struggle to get it fitted, I can't get enough angle to engage the lower tabs without the housing hitting the inner wing
Yeah, that's what I heard from Alfaholics on the rubber vs. solid mounts.

I'm able to remove and reinstall the filter, but it's not easy.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Ok just wondered if I'd missed a trick, even considered fitting 90 degree bends between carb and backplate making the filter box facing up but did not want to add to the intake length

·
Registered
870 Posts
Does anyone know if the Pipercross filter is supposed to be installed dry or oiled? Package doesn't indicate. Neither does the online ad. Thanks

·
Registered
273 Posts
mine came oiled, it's very light oil
From pipercross website
"We control the level of oil impregnated into our foam, adding just enough to allow the filter to work but not so much that it ever leaves the filter."

·
Registered
870 Posts
Thanks, Alfamale.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts