Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The author will be familiar to many Alfisti for his book on Weber and Dellorto carburetors. This is a much more interesting but less practical book. Hammill is an engineer and a good writer and the result is a book that is easy to read yet packed with technical information. It covers the period from 1952 to 1965 during which Climax engines powered F1 championship winning cars in 1959, 1960, 1963 and 1965. Before reading this book I was one of many who thought that the Climax race engines were derived from fire pump engines but that is not the case. They started with the 2.5L V8 which was code named FPE (Fire Pump E) in order to keep the project secret.
The next important engine was the 4 cylinder FPF which started out as half of the FPE and it powered Jack Brabham's Cooper Climax to the F1 title in 59 and 60. The 1.5L V8 FWMV was developed from a lightweight marine engine and it enabled Jim Clark and Lotus to win in 63 and 65. The last race engine was the unsuccessful 1.5L flat 16 FWMW which despite more complexity made no more power than the V8.

This book should appeal to anyone who is interested in high output engine development as well as those who are interested in Grand Prix and sports car racing in this period.
My connection to all of this is a weak one, I owned a couple of Hillman Imps which were powered by the single cam Coventry Climax FWH engine.

·
Administrator
12,564 Posts
Confused; there was no Coventry Climax 2.5 litre v8, they were 4 cylinders ...

Pete

·
Premium Member
14,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 2,5 V8 was the first engine when they decided to go racing in 1952 but the development took longer than expected. With one year left of the 2.5 formula the Maserati was reported to be making 260 to 270 HP and they decided that they were not going to match it so they stopped the program and started working on the 1.5. Later on they got hold of a Maserati engine and put it on their dyno and it made 230. So the Italians bluff paid off.

·
Administrator
12,564 Posts
Sorry, I missed that it was never raced. No wonder I had never heard of it :)

Pete

1 - 5 of 5 Posts