Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cannot get the slot for the dist. at vertical as shown in the manual. Crankshaft is at TDC, Cams are properly set up. The slot for the dist. drive is oriented either slightly CCW or slighty CW when I reorient the pump drive. Will these positions work OK? I am not seeing how it would make a difference if the dist. is timed properly. I think I am second guessing myself quite a bit, not having worked on the engine in decades.
position 1 (1024x770).jpg postition 2 (1024x770).jpg

·
Super Moderator
11,670 Posts
I cannot get the slot for the dist. at vertical as shown in the manual. Crankshaft is at TDC, Cams are properly set up. The slot for the dist. drive is oriented either slightly CCW or slighty CW when I reorient the pump drive. Will these positions work OK? I am not seeing how it would make a difference if the dist. is timed properly.
You're right: it won't make a difference as long as the dist. is timed properly. However, it's a good thing you asked, because you are reading the manual incorrectly. The slot should be oriented horizontally - not vertically - at #1 TDC. The rotor should be pointing (approximately) straight ahead, toward the radiator.

Note too that the "foot" at the base of the distributor is a few degrees off from where the rotor points. So the slot will need to be a bit off from horizontal (I forget in which direction) to orient the rotor exactly horizontally. In other words, while installing the oil pump, you need to temporarily insert the distributor to verify that things are as you want them.

The only reason to get this right is so that the next person to work on the car won't get confused when the plug wire positions don't correspond to what the manual shows. But sure, as long as #1 spark plug gets fired when the #1 piston is a bit ahead of TDC on the compression stroke, the location of the oil pump slot can be anywhere.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
The slot is not in the right position relative to TDC because whoever installed the oil pump mistimed the drive sprocket by a tooth or two. As Jay said, just time everything to work.

The part with the slot at the end of the oil pump is a cam that is intended to drive the fuel pump - not used on fuel injection cars. It does make it hard to judge to which side the slot is offset. It IS possible to insert the distributor 180 off and engage the drive in the slot. This will out a bending stress on the pump shaft and eventually break it - make sure to avoid that. There is just one way to engage the drive correctly. On your enlarged photo below, note the slot is slightly offset to the right.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your quick replies. This is what my manual has, so that is why I was trying to insert the oil pump in that orientation. This is a Glenns Manual, the Autobook manual used the same diagram.

·
Richard Jemison
7,919 Posts
It matters not....don`t waste your time. Insert the distributor where it has the slot fully seated (not 180 out) the closest pulg wire terminal will be # 1, then clockwise #3-#4_#2.

·
Administrator
14,276 Posts
Manual is very clear re vertical. Maybe they should have said, close to vertical

Pete

1 - 6 of 6 Posts