Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
Getting ready to start her up.
Can anyone confirm that the distributor is wired directly to the coil?
pos and neg?
also we are going with the OE hose clamps.
Is there a way these lock? or do you just tighten them until snug?
And one more: I could not find any info regarding the fuse box amp rating.
Could anyone please furnish the fuse designations?
We put a new harness in but I don't know what amp fuses to put in .

Attachments

·
Premium Member
841 Posts
1. Negative wire from coil goes to distributor.
2. Depends on your use of the car, I would think. For a driver newer clamps are good. For a Pebble Beach quality car only originals will do.
3. If no one beats me to it I'll post a copy of the wiring diagram if I can enlarge it enough to be readable. I believe that the amp rating is specified there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1. Negative wire from coil goes to distributor.
2. Depends on your use of the car, I would think. For a driver newer clamps are good. For a Pebble Beach quality car only originals will do.
3. If no one beats me to it I'll post a copy of the wiring diagram if I can enlarge it enough to be readable. I believe that the amp rating is specified there.
!.How about the positive? This is an aftermarket electronic distributor with just a red and black wire coming out.
2. the owner wants to use to oe clamps, so its not my call, I just want to make sure that they
don't come loose.
3. Thanks, I have diagrams, but the fuse box is awfully small so I didn't see any numbers.

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
The clamps you are using are called Copiglia clamps. If the owner insists...The proper way to install them is to loop them through the stirrup twice before you attach the band into the key slot to tighten . The down side of them is they will stretch a tad bit to get them tight. There is a limit to the stretch after more than one installation cycle and so technically it is best to change out the band after use unless it is in a non-critical application like air ducts or venting. . I'm not a fan of them for critical coolant hoses since there are better ways to skin that cat and some modern solutions do indeed bear some merit.

·
Premium Member
841 Posts
Re: positive wire. Well, this changes things. My approach would be to find the installation instructions for the electronic distributor just in case the manufacturer specifies something other than standard. I'll go look at my manuals for the fuse info. With Alfas there are a lot of fuses as opposed to say, a Jensen Healey, so smaller amp fuses are usually the order. In my '60 Spider a believe that all the fuses in the box are 8 amps. I'll get back to you on this issue.

·
Premium Member
841 Posts
You are correct that the wiring diagram does not have the fuse sizes nor does the shop manual, the Glenn's manual, nor the owner's guide have it listed. I checked and I am using 8 amp fuses but that may too big for some circuits. I hope someone with this info pops up. I would like to know the correct amp rating as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts