Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
I have worked in the printing industry for 17+ years or so in prepress and additional years as a graphic designer and I can tell from your pic of the knockoff box that the fraudsters scanned the original box (which has a linescreen in the image, since it it offset printed) and then recreated the art with that image. It is very hard to de-screen an image in Photoshop so that it ever looks as good as the original digital image that the original box was designed with. When you try to print an already screened image, it will moire (due to, now two different screens), hence the need to try to blur (to remove the linescreen) and then sharpen again. When new printing plates are made, the linescreen will be added back. It never works very well and the image looks like garbage and that is what I can see in that knockoff box. If it was really Gates, they would have the proper artwork. The vector based artwork is another story, it can be redrawn to perfection in Illustrator by anyone with skills and that would include the logos and the background colors, etc. The rastor art (the belt image itself not the rest of the art on the box) is hard to copy from a previously printed piece and make it look good. Also, the fake box has a trapping issue (lack of trapping), where the red color needs to bleed into the belt image around .004 inches to avoid registration problems on press. The lack of trapping has caused the thin white line around the belt image. Poor prepress file prep and a press out of register. Either that or a bad Photoshop "clipping path" when the did the Photoshop work on the belt image.

More printing tech than I'm sure most everyone wanted to know about, but this is what I do.
Charles

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.