Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,928 Posts
Hi,
As many of you know, there are counterfeit items out there but the most recent one I bought was a Gates cambelt for my 24v 164.
Having bought several of these before and always being away of counterfeit possibilities when buying on ebay, rather than from a trusted supplier like Alfissimo, I logged onto Gates own verification pages:
https://www.gatestechzone.com/en/pr...ion/verification/verification-general#option1

This confirmed my belt was counterfeit. Was furious with the seller, who sells so much stuff they may not even have been aware it was fake. Reported it to ebay anyway and asked for a refund on counterfeit grounds; no reply as yet.

Be careful out there...
For sure a fake. The box does not look right. Gates has a sticker on it with originality label and hologram. It does not have a silver tape on end either, just regular tape. That was an attempt to look official.

I agree don't buy off ebay unless the product is an OEM part. I don't trust anything else.

Look at the difference in print quality of the box as well, see how the belt is low quality compared to mine?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,928 Posts
Bulbs are a huge counterfeit thing as well. Philips, Osram and others also have similar holograms and codes on boxes to check on manufacturers websites. I got some fake Osram HID capsules but knew right away they were fake by the lousy print on box compared to my original ones that I still had box for. I got them stupidly off sleezbay! But I sent them back and got a refund, reported them too.

You should report them to not only ebay but to the manufacturer as well. Ebay name, address, emails and all.

·
Premium Member
9,928 Posts
Apart from the counterfeit aspect how does one know the belt is just not too old having sat on a shelf for 20 years?
I buy my belts from reputable dealers as opposed to EBAY etc where they are cheaper just because I fear shelf life.
A counterfeit belt might even be a better prospect than a belt made in 1999.

Ta,

Neville.
Date is normally on the belt. I think but will have to confirm that if you go to manuf. site and input code on box it should tell you as well. I make sure to stock new to new-ish belts. Manuf. within the last 3-5 years, 6-7 are the oldest. I also store in a cool area so belts are nice and fresh.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.