Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
1990 164QV Euro spec & 1991 168B
28,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My 91 164 Red S Rescue Project

OK I know long time in getting there after many years of maintaining my herd of my many B's and L's but I towed home a real RED 91 164S today.

Is it a keeper or parts car time will tell. It is road trip car we three amigos looked at about a month ago.

Lady has owned it since 1994 so my guess is it was a second owner 164S.

Complete but not without issues. supposed to have a new clutch and it has a matching set of "Sonic" 205-60-15 tires.

Even had a 2009 IAP catalog in front seat.

All I know for now is fuel pump won't run, reaction rod bushing shot and clutch pedal will not go to floor or release clutch plus it has some clear coat issues. Engine will turn over with starter.

·
28,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
New Rescue Project 164S

Was that car on Craigslist sporting aftermarket wheels recently?
Nope bone stock S owned by a local lady since 1994.

Attachments

·
28,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Well, another long day at the "office" wrenching on the new project. Ended up having to drop and drain the gas tank. Ugly Ugly Ugly, this car has been sitting awhile without any Stabil fuel treatment.

American auto "consumers' should not be allowed to own a Alfa Romeo.

Fuel pump seized, rubber pump mount bushing mush and in pieces, filter basket not to pretty.

Pix to follow.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Nice pickup Steve - good to see it's finally getting the TLC it's obviously been craving for quite some time.

·
28,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Well, here are some pix of disaster in fuel tank. I put tank into rehab today at Phil's Glenrock Radiator shop.

Attachments

·
28,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
The pics didn't come through Alfisto Steve.
Ya gotta give me time to post these things I have to do it in two steps or I don't get a compelete post as this BB software hangs me up if try I post text and pix both at same time.

·
28,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
What's involved in a tank "rehab"? POR 15?
Chemical strip in a tank bath. flush, neutralize, install drain port, reline "paint" inside of tank with gray fuel tank liner coating.

Just ordered these parts:
----- ORDER DETAILS -----
Part number: 00605720490000
Part description Z GASKET Pump rubber bushing
Part number: 00823936010000
Part description Z FUEL FILTER basket
Part number: 00607773470000
Part description HOSE PER METER in tank hose

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Steve
I am following your Red Plug redue. Very interesting
I have a hot restart problem : after the car sits for 30 minutes it's hard to restart and runs rough for 10 seconds then is fine, [immedate hot restarts and cold starts are fine]. I shouldn't have my nephews drive the car so much on Easter, one of them stalled it out several times, he just learning to use a clutch and the car he usually drives a Mini Cooper a very different clutch. But I don't think that caused the problem and the car made a good impression on the boys.

Well anyway, I've been looking at past post on the subject and one culprit the comes up is the short hose in the fuel tank. So, I am going to do some fuel pump testing and may investigate the tank
Are the parts your ordered for the Red Plug S, the same for the '94 LS model?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Hey Alfisto Steve, what does it take to remove the fuel tank? Does the rear subframe have to be dropped? (I gotta do the same thing in a month's time when I come back from my trip. My car has been sitting for 6.5 years :( ). Do you have the procedure written by any chance? (I bought the shop manual, so I'm sure it is in there, but I trust your write-ups more!)

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
Mine was sitting for 6 years with 3/4 tank of gas. I used the intank pump to pump out the old gas, put in new gas and started up my newly rebuilt engine on it. I also changed out the fuel filter. Some times it works :)

·
28,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Steve

Are the parts your ordered for the Red Plug S, the same for the '94 LS model?
Yes they are the same parts plus the rubber pad on bottom of pump basket container but Alfa Orlando didn't have it in stock anymore.

·
28,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well managed to change out internally blocked rubber hose going to clutch slave cylinder that was preventing clutch master from sending fluid to slave cylinder so have some movement now of clutch release arm.

Still not bled out good enough.

Hope I get fuel tank back early next week.

·
28,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Well Phil finished cleaning out fuel tank and looks like new inside. I built up fuel pump and basket assembly and installed it in the tank. Happy Hour and then pizza night out with daughter so tomorrow another day.

Got Old Blue inspected today passed no problem even with stepper issue as enough air leaks by defrosters to pass.

Got my order from Alfa Orlando of fuel pump basket filters, pump rubber mounts and couple meters of FI in tank hose made by Pirelli.

Ordered a couple stepper motors today for Old Blue and the 164S as it appears Orlando still had some in stock.

Pix to follow after pizza time as daughter just called from gym.

·
28,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Steve
Can the in take hose made by Pirelli be used on the fuel lines on the engine side?
Probably could be but it is fabric covered not fabric impregnated as external FI hose is so I would probably just get some SAE30R9 5/16" FI hose at Autozone or get some 7.5mm FI hose from Difatta or IAP.

·
28,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Now a fuel leak

Well another partial half day at the "office" after doing lawn maintenance and some landscaping before hand.

Got gas tank installed and fuel pressure BUT now have fuel leak as oring is shot where pressure regulator plugs into fuel rail on engine. Same oring as for injectors which I have some in stock so tomorrow is another day.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.