Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a leak around the base of number two fuel injector. Looking at all my books doesn't give me enough info to figure it out myself. I've tightend the injector down as much as I dare to (I always seem to be stripping or breaking something). One manual says up to 23.1 lbs torque, I'm sure I'm there. Anyway, did I see somewhere that there is a one-time use copper washer or something, is that what needs to be replaced?
Somewhere on this board said there is an O-ring?
Also, I feel that I don't want to remove the injector without bending the metal fuel line leading to it. Shouldn't I be able to pull that fuel line out of the way?
Any ideas much appreciated. Thanks.
Bill
large view of injector 2.jpg

injector 2 gas leak.jpg

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
I think you need to replace the copper gasket.

You should be able to move the metal fuel line out of the way so that you can remove the injector.

There are no "o" rings....you might be confusing with the rubber seals of the Bosch L-Jet injectors.

Elio

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Elio, I see both of your posts. I'll try to move the metal fuel line out of the way (keep your fingers crossed), and remove the injector and look for/inspect/replace copper gasket.

·
Registered
what part?
10,722 Posts
also some teflon tape along the threads won't hurt.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update. Elio enlightened me that there is manifold vacuum where I first thought there was a leak. Of course he's right, so it wouldn't be leaking from there.

So I ran the car a little and really looked extra close and think now the leak was mostly between to two hex nuts where the injector can be unscrewed. Maybe a little leak too where the fuel line connects.

I was able to loosen two of the fuel line brackets enough to pull the fuel line out of the way and remove the number two injector.
I separated the two "halves" of the injector and did what all stupid boys do, I tried to blow through it. Well the top half, with the restrictor washer and a couple of other real washers in it "worked," meaning I could blow some air through it.
But, I couldn't blow any air through the lower "half."

Question, is that normal because SPICA pumps at much higher pressure than I do? Or is that a sign that the lower part of the injector is blocked, thus causing it to back up and leak at the hex nut connection?

By the way, I have so far resisted the tempation to take the lower half apart, but I don't know how much longer I can hold out...

injector.jpg

two piece injector.jpg

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Happy to report that the teflon tape trick worked. Not leaking now. Thanks bianchi1.
First I only taped the upper connection where the fuel line attaches to help me troubleshoot exactly where the leak was coming from. You can see some of that white tape in the photo. But that didn't work.
So then I took the two halves of the injector apart and put some tape on that connection. No more leak. :)

wide shot injector w tape.jpg

close up injector leak.jpg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts