Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone
I have been looking at the new alfa spider and I really like everything about it. The only problem is that I live in TN. If I were to buy one and ship it over here would it be able to pass emissions and even if it does pass would I be able to register it? Should I just wait a few years until alfa comes back to the states? I would greatly appreciate any advice.

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
Impossible to do legally.........

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
If it were possible to buy new Alfas in Europe and import them to the U.S., then we wouldn't care much about the date of Alfa's return to the U.S. Back in the 1980's it was legal to do this, and many people bought European cars and brought them in privately. Those were the years of the "grey market cars", but the laws were changed specifically to prevent such private importation.

Now, one thing you can do legally is buy a new Alfa in Europe, take the engine out and ship the car and engine separate. Once in the U.S., it can be put back together and you may register it, not as an Alfa, but as a kit car. I don't know all the details, but I have friends who have done this with other European cars. I will caution you however... it is anything but cheap to do.

Best regards,

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I guess I'll just have to wait a year or so until alfa returns, thanks for the feedback everybody.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts