Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to change the O2 sensor on my 84' S3 according to the smog shop (in addition to some hoses I had to change out). I have reviewed the threads here and it looks like there are various options for the equipment itself but I don't have the ability to do the job (soldering?). Thanks for any input what to expect from the shop estimate.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I just ordered a new 02 sensor for my 86 Spider from rockauto.com, no soldering involved, just unscrew the old and screw in the new, run wires like the old and clip in place.

·
Premium Member
2,051 Posts
As jvico said, it just threads into your downpipe. Unless the soldering you are referring to is to solder the wires of a universal sensor. If so, your not suppose to solder them, and most come with clips/clamps, etc.

If you've had the same sensor installed in your exhaust for years, there is a good chance you will not be able to remove it yourself. The biggest issue is that it could be seized in there, not to mention the issue of space and leverage issues under the car. It might be worth a shot though!

If you source the sensor yourself, and drive over to an exhaust shop, it shouldn't take them more than 20 minutes to get the old one out and new one in.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I'd plan on around $65 for the sensor and 1/2 hour charge for labor. Plan on around $120.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts