Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to share some photos and details from the recent work I've completed on my black 1988 Milano Verde, Corvino. I bought this car in June 2015, no less than 2 months after the fire that burned down my garage and my old Verde, "Rotto". 25,000 miles and a pair of track days later, Corvino got a mechanical refresh.

I'll start with some photos of Corvino. A few months after I purchased it, I took a 3 month trip to CO with my girlfriend. Here you can see the car on Skyline Drive, a camping scene (notice the loose exhaust...), and the trunk of the car packed for a long trip.
Untitled by leetlebeeg, on Flickr

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The teardown

Pulled the engine to address some 'hot knock' and overheating. Wanted to do a general cleanup and reseal and went about pulling the engine last November.

A pre-op shot with the Fiat and the Coupe relegated to the street:
Corvino build by leetlebeeg, on Flickr

Draining the oil before pulling the lump:

Pulling the engine:

On the stand. Head options loom in the background:

Heads off:

The culprit:

Bare block:

The rods that I ended up reusing (and the pistons that I couldn't use :mad: ):

And the hot tanked block on the stand:

And after the engine was torn down, the Milano was invited back into the garage:

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thinking twice and doing nothing

I had purchased some Cat Cams 1030322 intending to machine heads for those. Came to my senses after realizing that I didn't have enough time to undertake that project this winter. The Cat Cams are on the shelf for a later project.

Had fun 3D modeling the valvetrain in the process:

Valve spring investigation:
Screen Shot 2018-01-21 at 8.30.46 PM by leetlebeeg, on Flickr

Looking at valve stem seal interference to determine valve guide installed depth:
Screen Shot 2018-01-21 at 8.48.35 PM by leetlebeeg, on Flickr

Valvetrain section view:
Screen Shot 2018-01-21 at 8.36.33 PM by leetlebeeg, on Flickr

More of the valve stem seal interference at shop manual valve guide depth:
Screen Shot 2018-01-21 at 8.37.59 PM by leetlebeeg, on Flickr

Finally, a model of the Busso intake runners. Had hoped to create something to have rapid prototyped by CNCing foam or something like that. Wanted to experiment with runner length and diameter...but didn't get around to it. Also probably not a huge source of gains on mildly cam'd engine. Cool model though:

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Timing belt tensioner

I like these hydraulic tensioners more than the mechanical type. I'd rather leak than skip timing. They're pretty fun and low stress to rebuild, too. Please send your cores to me :)

And installed:
by leetlebeeg, on Flickr

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Exhaust manifolds

I've had a set of IAP headers and 'downpipes' lying around for a few years, so I went about prepping them for installation. Various sources don't seem too optimistic on performance gains, but I was under the impression that they might sound better than the stock manifolds. Having already installed a set on a buddy's car, I was also looking forward to the much easier removal of the front section 'downpipes'. Further, the weight savings over the stock cast manifolds should nicely offset the weight of the tools I keep in the trunk :)

The downpipes had been hacked off by the seller, so the flex sections and interface to the mid section were missing. I ordered two 2"ID, 6" longJones Exhaust FLX2006B from Summit Racing to add some flex sections back in. I used some 2" OD 16ga aluminized exhaust piping to route back to the mid section.

I used a 2" to 1 7/8" adapter from O'Reilly to mate to the center section (Stebro Stainless unit):

Painted silver with VHT high temp enamel (what I had on the shelf) and installed a new Bosch 15735 3-wire oxygen sensor that I purchased on Amazon:

Untitled by leetlebeeg, on Flickrhttps://farm1.staticflickr.com/948/41769560861_cd41398515_z.jpg[/img][/url]Untitled by leetlebeeg, on Flickr

To attach the headers to the downpipes, I used ROL Gaskets EG24684 gaskets from O'Reilly and some M10 hardware. The gaskets are a decent fit:

I didn't use the stock starter heat shield with the headers, opting instead for a heat wrap type shield: DEI 010402 Versa-Shield Starter Heat Shield Wrap, 7 x 24-Inch

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Exhaust hanger bracket / center brace

A prior exhaust donut installation led to the destruction of one of my exhaust hangers, so I took the opportunity to beef up the mid section exhaust hangers. I grinded the old hangers away and drilled to install some stainless eye bolts instead. I forget which size they were - maybe 5/16". I cut them as required to achieve the hanger shape.

Pre installation:

Painted and eye bolts installed:

As installed (with slightly polished heat shield :) ):

Front view, before exhaust mid section weight is applied to the donut:

I'm pretty proud of these hooks:

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Power Steering pump rebuild

A well-respected Alfa mechanic in my area likes to say "Self-satisfaction is dangerous". I introduced an element of danger to my Milano by rebuilding the ZF power steering pump. It wasn't leaking or aerating, but now seemed like a good time to do it. I have 5 cores on the shelf and would like to rebuild those at some point too.

Look at that old turd:

First order of business was to refer to the BB for the internal o-ring sizes.
Oil seal: 16X28X7 (sourced from Alfa Parts in Berkeley, maybe $18 shipped)
O rings, FKM in my case (I don't drive the car in cold weather): 10.5x2, 36x2, and 28x2 sourced from The O-Ring Store LLC, We make getting O-Rings easy!

Here you can see the steel section with its 30y/o compression set orings:

And the aluminum section. I'm not an expert, but in my experience aluminum on aluminum threads without anodization on one of the parts results in galling. Well, after 30 years, there was significant galling that made removal of the threaded piece very difficult. It oven resulted in some bad threads. I was careful to clean all of the metal out. I reinstalled carefully with some anti-seize, but it will probably gall again.

The o-ring behind the threaded section:

And the finished product after some fresh paint:

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Power Steering Line Clean-up

I also cleaned up the power steering lines, reservoir to pump, pump to rack, and pump to reservoir lines. I used various sizes of DEI hot rod sleeve on the lines just to have some added protection against abrasion and radiation. Yes, black doesn't seem like a logical choice for radiation protection, but the product does advertise a 60% protection from radiation. Here are the two rack lines:

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Pistons and liners

The original plan was to use a set used of S Pistons that I bought from someone on the forums here. The set ended up having a piston without any valve cut-out, and I didn't have a good machine shop or the ability to remedy that myself, so I put the set for sale and ordered some new 10.0:1 pistons and liners from EB Spares in the UK.

I pulled the pistons from the jugs to swap my rods on, as well as to install some Hastings rings from Centerline. Centerline sent me the right box, but Hastings packed them incorrectly. Fortunately Centerline sent me a new box right away and I was installing rings in no time. I used the OTC 4838 piston ring compressor set to knock the rings into the liners. One oil scraper did end up getting damaged, and I was able to call Hastings directly, as I have before, and order a few spare rings without purchasing an entire set.

Below is a new piston/liner set with the old rod installed:

On the right you can see the EB Spares piston and liners in their packaging as I received them.

And below, you can see how far off the Hastings rings that I originally received were:

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bottom end

Bottom end went well, with the bearing clearances all falling within spec. I used green plastigage to check the clearances.

For example:

Ample Lubriplate No. 105 Motor Assembly Grease was applied in the name assembly lubrication. See photo below for an example of proper application method:

The assembled bottom end:

Liner hold down tools are made from the black iron / galvenized pipe at Home Depot

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Engine bay degreasing and paint

Grease was removed using engine degreaser. Primer and #KRYLON were applied.

Before:
OK WE GET IT!

Degreasing:

Primer:

#KRYLON:

Try THAT on you grey/red Milanos ;)

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Hose replacement, heat abatement

Hoses - Bel-Metric has it all. I replaced all of the 7.5mm fuel hose with proper high pressure fuel hose from Bel-metric, and all coolant hose with Bel-metric product as well. Pretty cool. They even sent me a sticker in the mail, so I guess you could say that things are getting kind of serious :nerd:

Allow us to examine:

Notice the reflective wrap on the driver side heat shield. Now, allow your eyes to move to the passenger side of the bay. Two A/C lines slither into view, their slender, eel-like proportions shimmering with reflective heat wrap in anticipation of some hot-hot-hot! headers. The coolant line below the the overflow bottle seems to be modified, but you can't quite make out what's been done.

You model it in your brain. All 80-90 IQ points fire like the pistons in a row of 7-8 Ferraris; you rotate - NO, PAN! ROLL INTO POSITION YOU DASTARDLY HOSE! And then, you see it. Behold, that which you have imagined:

Yeah, those PEX fittings aren't really long enough but I clamped it all tight. Moving on...

Engine mounts! Those like to cook, so we installed some heat tape for now. A metal shield with some standoff will make for a better long-term solution (H/T RacingBalls - you rock, man!)

AC bracket cameo:

More of the bay:
by leetlebeeg, on Flickr

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Fuel Injectors

I sent my injectors to the Fuel Injector Connection in Cummings, GA for a cleaning. $22.50 / injector for cleaning. Probably not worth it. Who knows.

Cleaned up the rail and installed some fresh 7.5mm fuel hose on the rail to injector using RacingBall's 43mm length spec. Worked nicely. I believe that the 11.5 to 13mm metric high pressure screw clamps from Bel-Metric work best. Not pictured is the fresh hose to the cold start injector and the fresh hose from the fuel pressure regulator to the plastic fuel line.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts