Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I own a 1963 Giulia spider Veloce and i'd like to know which type of wheels i can mount preserving its originality. I now own a type of wheel with oval holes which says Borrani in the middle, but i'd like to mount the type of wheel with the triangular-shape holes.

Does anybody of you know if Alfa Romeo sold Giulia spider veloces of '63 with this type of wheel?

I've looked on the internet for some info about this type of wheel but i couldn't find the exact make. I found CMR, Fergat and Borrani as the main giulia/giulietta wheel supplier but i don't know who of them made the type of wheel i'd like to mount.

·
Super Moderator
11,585 Posts
It sounds like you are interested in the Fergat style. These are more common than Borrani's today, as the Borrani is a somewhat more fragile wheel in some ways, and fewer survive. Where Borrani's will bend, Fergats will develop cracks. Each type wheel has positive and negative attributes.
Over the years many have come up with various opinions, many based on fact, as to how each wheel was used on Spiders over the total production period. The last (1965) 1600 Spider Veloces, particularly near the end of production, were fitted with Borrani. Perhaps Alfa had exhausted the Fergat supply. I don't know. Some earlier Spider Veloces were fitted new with Fergats. Some wheels have date stamps, and owners have matched cars and wheels (unrestored) to see what went where.
My guess (only a guess) would be that Fergats, would (or could have been) correct original equiptment on your 63.
Further, if you save your set of Borrani's, to later sell with the car, there is no reason for you not to fit Fergat's; it IS your car.
Just my opinion from my observations.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
My 2-cents ..

I've never bought an Alfa Romeo brand new from a dealer.
I've owned two 63 Giulias and two 64's (all Spider Normales) over the years - all were fitted with Fergat wheels.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks a lot for your reply.

I will look for the date stamps perhaps, these are matching wheels with the car. Last time looked at them searching for stamps, i only found «borrani» on the outside in the middle of the wheel. I remember that i didn't found any other stamps.

The wheels are fitted now with tires, do i need to remove the tires to find these date stamps?

·
Registered
7,759 Posts
Hi guys,

I own a 1963 Giulia spider Veloce and i'd like to know which type of wheels i can mount preserving its originality. I now own a type of wheel with oval holes which says Borrani in the middle, but i'd like to mount the type of wheel with the triangular-shape holes.

Does anybody of you know if Alfa Romeo sold Giulia spider veloces of '63 with this type of wheel?

I've looked on the internet for some info about this type of wheel but i couldn't find the exact make. I found CMR, Fergat and Borrani as the main giulia/giulietta wheel supplier but i don't know who of them made the type of wheel i'd like to mount.
First of all, for clarity, there were no Giulia Spider Veloce's produced in 1963. They began a short run of 290 of the first cars in 1964 and finished up with 801 cars in 1965. From this one could deduce that the short run began toward the end of the calendar year of 1964 which rules out the likelihood of any cars made in 1963. Many of the later cars were not sold until 1966, thus titles on cars from '65 production ended up selling as '66's. I had one.

Ergo, your car is thus a Normale conversion?

Secondly, wheel mfrs...There were only two mfrs- Borrani and Fergat. (CMR was and is a morph of Borrani ---- one and the same)

Thirdly, I don't believe date stamps will help as much as Road test photos from past publications. especially since the factory was producing N's and V's at the same time. I have found the Borrani's more common to Giulietta Veloces and Fergats to Giulietta Normales... with few exceptions. In the Giulia range, not so specific and Fergat seemed to pick up slack as Borrani CMR was gearing up with the 105 Series cars which was way higher production.

Lastly, the only Giulia Spider Veloce I ever owned had Fergats from the get-go. Since those are what you are looking to install they should be be totally accurate as confirmed by the parts manual as offering either Borrani or Fergat, either or, for your car. Whew.. does that help. Uncle.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks a lot for your help.

Indeed it's a 64' veloce not a 63, i wrote that wrong. Excuse me!!

Yesterday i went to the garage to take a look at the wheels for some stamps. Well i found some, they say 64'. So i think these are the original wheels. I think i will buy the fergat anyway but i will keep the borrani's.

Does anybody of you if the Giulia spider Veloce/Normale and Giulietta spider Veloce/Normale mount the same hub caps? As from the outside they look all the same.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Veloce Build Dates

I have documentation from the factory that my Veloce, SN AR390195, was built on July 20, 1964. I have found that they were built with whatever was next on the parts shelf.

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
I have a 1961 Sprint Veloce that was produced in June 1961, and purchased by my father in September or October 1961. The car has Borrani wheels three without studs and two with studs for wheel balancing. I was always told that wheels with studs are for earlier cars and the ones without studs are for later cars. I also owned a 1957 Spider that had Borrani wheels and cannot remember if they had studs or not. I believe that Alfa Romeo used either Borrani or Fergat wheels on 750/101 cars depending upon what they had in stock. I would use whatever wheel looks good for you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts