Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, thanks to all of you that have helped me in the past and thanks in advance for those that will offer their wisdom. I have read the multiple threads going back 15 years or more regarding the correct transmission and differential lubricants and admit I am still not clear. I have a stock 1969 1750 Spider Veloce and want to know what contemporary products folks are using. I understood that the recommended trans lube is 75W/90 NS (Not EP) and the differential is 80W/90 or GL5 hypoid. But I can't find Shell Spirax HD which was highly recommended, as an example. I am looking to get the best performance and want to make sure I don't screw something up! I appreciate what advice you can offer. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
1,879 Posts
You want REDLINE 75W90ns specifically for the tranny. Widely regarded as the best around here by many including myself - I'm tried the rest but settled on the best! ;-)

For the rear end any 75W90 GL5 oil will be fine.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I also use REDLINE 75W90 NS in the diff of my 69 1750 GTV. It has an older NSD using the same gear oil and I am not getting any chatter. I swear by this stuff. My transmission was smooth to begin with (low miles on full rebuild) but the REDLINE improves it further.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,496 Posts
Yeah, you don't have an LSD. Any 75W90 or 80W90 will work in the diff provided it is GL5 spec.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Not sure if they still have it on sale but Autozone had Valvoline 75W90 on sale recently when you bought two quarts (you need three pints). Once you drain the old stuff out of the diff you can pull the rubber plug from the bottom of the spare tire wheel and run a hose from inside the trunk rather than underneath the car making it easier to refill. I bought a pump from harbor freight for $10 or something like that which made it a breeze. I replaced the hose that came with the pump with a longer hose from ACE which allows me to refill from the side of the car instead of under it.

·
Super Moderator
10,592 Posts
you can pull the rubber plug from the bottom of the spare tire wheel and run a hose from inside the trunk rather than underneath the car making it easier to refill.
That's genius! I use one of those cheapie $10 pumps, working underneath the car, but wouldn't call that procedure "efficient". Next time I'll try a hose with a funnel stuck into it, with the tube routed through the hole in the spare tire well.

·
Registered
53 Posts
First, thanks to all of you that have helped me in the past and thanks in advance for those that will offer their wisdom. I have read the multiple threads going back 15 years or more regarding the correct transmission and differential lubricants and admit I am still not clear. I have a stock 1969 1750 Spider Veloce and want to know what contemporary products folks are using. I understood that the recommended trans lube is 75W/90 NS (Not EP) and the differential is 80W/90 or GL5 hypoid. But I can't find Shell Spirax HD which was highly recommended, as an example. I am looking to get the best performance and want to make sure I don't screw something up! I appreciate what advice you can offer. Thank you.
I’ve read pretty much all of the older threads about this subject, and I find myself more confused than ever. Maybe I’m just plain stupid. There was just too much conflicting, subjective information... GL-4, GL-5, NS, EP... Shouldn’t we be able to just definitively say “use these products, period”? For the record, I have a 71 Spider with unmodified, original transmission and differential. I have used ROYAL PURPLE 75-90 in many other cars and have been very happy with it. I’d like to use it in my Spider, too, but am paralyzed by indecision.

So, for me personally, can I or can I not use Royal Purple 75-90? From the manufacturer, “for use in truck and automotive front or rear differentials, manual transmissions and lower gear units of marine engines that specify the use of an API GL-5 or GL-4 fluid. Formulated with a friction modifier additive”.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts