Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Im thinking about going with the TZ/Ti Super wheels that classic sells
What is the correct tire size for this set-up?

Thanks,
Fred

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tires in that size seem hard to find... perhaps its best to got with 14" gta rims and 185-70-14?

·
Premium Member
23,458 Posts
You can get new Vredesteins in this size in both Classic and Sprint + 80 treads. Best all-around tires I've ever owned.
Andrew

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, I agree on the Verdesteins! But that series seems to be limited. When you say 155 - 15 what is the complete number to look for?

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Vredesteins

Yesterday I tried to order a set of Sprint Classics in the 155SR15 size and was told by the local dealer that there are none left in the US with a resupply at least 6 weeks out, maybe longer.

Not a crisis for me yet because the car still isn't roadworthy but I may possibly finish things out before the tires get here. I suppose I could fit 165's, (haven't checked the availability of that size) but if anyone knows of a set of 155's hiding somewhere, I'm a potential buyer.

Any opinions on BFG Radial TA's? They have a 155/80 size but are also out of stock through normal channels so probably not a near-term solution.

·
Premium Member
23,458 Posts
TA Radials may be perfectly fine tires, but they seem so Camaro or Firebird. They just don't seem right on an Alfa, though agreed, when looking for skinny 15s at reasonable prices, you don't have a lot of choices.
Coker has plenty of repros, but they're insanely expensive.
Andrew

·
Registered
`61 Giulietta Spider, `65 Giulia Ti 1750, `69 GT junior 1600, `73 Spider 2000, `74 GTV 2000, `98 156
1,946 Posts
I see Pirelli are doing 155x15`s also in their original form which look even better than the Vredesteins.-Whichever brand though they are much dearer than more common sizes but well worth the saving up for and wait-makes for a beautifully fluid agile car that handles as the engineers intended and transmits what the chassis is doing wonderfully. You will really engoy it- they become alive. Overtiring is for people who don`t pick up on the subtle messages and pleasures.

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
I would check on some other dealers who carry Vredesteins. You may find one that has them in stock.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
For stock-looking tires Vredsteins are great. 155-15, 165-15 and if you can get 175/70-15, even better.

For sticky rubber consider Avon CR6ZZ in 175/70-15, or if you need even more stick, Toyo Proxes R888 in 195/50-15 or 195/55-15 - some clearancing may be required. Also, on the Toyos, tire diameter is much smaller than stock.

·
Premium Member
23,458 Posts
I have 165-14 Sprint Plus (the more modern tread) on 1750 wheels on my Super, and have never wanted for anything else. Tires of this width are very communicative and give light precise steering.
Andrew

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I have 165-14 Sprint Plus (the more modern tread) on 1750 wheels on my Super, and have never wanted for anything else. Tires of this width are very communicative and give light precise steering.
Andrew
Same Here. Dumping my 195/60-14's for the 165-14 Vresestein's is the best mod to my car in my 30 years of ovnership. Steering is just lovely now.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Il Vecchio - What is the color of your car? Every time I see it I just love it that much more!

Regarding tire size... why not 185/70/14s (vs. 15s)? Weren't 14s delivered on later model Supers?

·
Premium Member
23,458 Posts
Yes Supers got 14" wheels in the early 70s rationalization. All US model Supers came with 15s, but it used to be common to put 14"s on them, as their are wider, so you can easily run 185 tires if so inclined; that's really too wide for the stock 15" wheels.
As stated, one of the reasons for going with narrower tires is lighter steering and better feel. The extra 20mm of width on a 185 makes for a bigger, heaver contact patch. And some of use like how the tall skinny tires fill up the wheelwells, as intended in the original design.
Andrew

·
Registered
563 Posts
Hi Fred - we had a good yak about modern replacements for the old 155 15" tyres over on the Oz club forums - there's some info on rolling diameters / comparisons etc.

I ended up fitting some Marangoni Verso tyres in 185/65 15 for my Ti Super rep. wheels. 195/65 was a closer match to the originals in rolling dia, but you lose some steering feel with wider tyres, and you start to scrub the tyres in the rear arches unless your rear suspension is nice and tight.

The thread is here with some pics of my wheels / tyres if that's helpful Tyre Recommendations Super on R15's - 185/60 ?

Cheers,

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Il Vecchio - What is the color of your car? Every time I see it I just love it that much more!

Regarding tire size... why not 185/70/14s (vs. 15s)? Weren't 14s delivered on later model Supers?
Grazie. The color is an "evvocazione" of Grafiti Metallizio, based upon a late 1970's Bmw anthricite.

Many people do perfer 185/70-14's. I wanted to get the benefits (light steering, etc.) of a 165 SR tire but with a 14- and I wanted to return to more of a factory look.

Giulia Veloce is really tempting me to go with his route, though!

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
if its not about money, I would REALLY go for the Avon CR6ZZ.
The classic Pirelli Cinturato is great for looks but A expensive, B not made by Pirelli itself but in Turkey, and C really not a good tire. It just LOOKS good.

The Vredestein: Well, good in price vs quality, but I find them to squeal really fast, even at moderate speeds in corners. And too soft in the sidewall. But a comfortable tire if you are a moderate driver.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I'm quite happy with Vredestein Sprint Classic 175 / 70 / 15 on my Guilia
(1300TI - 1970):

Not too narrow, not too wide...

Next to a set of 185's:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts