Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I just purchased a set of original Alfa Romeo Cromodora rims for my car. I was wondering what tire size you could recommend to suit my 68 stepnose. My car has original springs and is not lowered at all. Thanks Arthur

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Doug I got these rims which are original Alfa Romeo Cromodora rims outta California. The rims came with 185-60 r14 . They lower the car by about half an inch, but not really happy with how they look with the lower profile. As theres alot of inner fender showing. Thanks for your input.

·
Premium Member
14,028 Posts
195-65 and 205-60 are very similar in diameter to 185-70. 205's look wide but 195-65's look "normal" and you may find more options in that size.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Thanks Doug I got these rims which are original Alfa Romeo Cromodora rims outta California. The rims came with 185-60 r14 . They lower the car by about half an inch, but not really happy with how they look with the lower profile. As theres alot of inner fender showing. Thanks for your input.
I got 4 General Tire Altimax RT43 185/70R14 from Tire Rack for $280 including shipping.
They are quiet and smooth riding compared to the Yokos 008.
The tires were offered with a $50 rebate. There aren't lot of choices on 14" tires. These were affordable. $280-$50=$230, $230+$100 install=330, $330/4= $82.5 @, turnkey, balanced and disposal charges included...I went with one of their recommended installer.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Yes, I'm happy with them. They are not a "HIGH PERFORMANCE" tire but for the money they do well. It gives the car a more original type of ride, if you understand. I had fat tires on before, 205/65 R14 which were a mistake.....

·
Registered
32 Posts
Right size tires

My owner's manual says 165 with 14 and 155 with 15. My mechanic tells me that anything wider makes turning at low speeds very heavy. Any comments?

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
The real original size tire for the 14" rim would be a 165/80-14 such as the Vredestein.
Proper looks and very nice ride and grip.
What Alfa spec'd.....

·
Premium Member
14,028 Posts
My mechanic tells me that anything wider makes turning at low speeds very heavy. Any comments?
Your mechanic should eat his spinach

My daughter drove my Spider with 195 tires when she was a 5'4", 110 pound teenager and my 65 year old wife with rheumatoid arthritis drives it now.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I will take him a can of spinach!

From tirerack's Web site:

"The first three numbers in a typical size (225/45R17) are the tire's indicated section width in millimeters, measured from sidewall to sidewall."

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
"My daughter drove my Spider with 195 tires when she was a 5'4", 110 pound teenager and my 65 year old wife with rheumatoid arthritis drives it now."

And neither will ever know the joy of driving the Alfa as it was intended.....
Light, nimble, precise steering.
Also, may have a broken steering box in the future.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
195-65-14 !

I've tried all the sizes. I've found that the perfect tire size is 195-65-14, even with a slightly lowered suspension. They are wide enough and nicely fill up the wheel well. Can't go wrong.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,625 Posts
Bought a set of the Altimax tires ran them year around summer and winter 2 years and they seem to be the best bang for the buck. Unless your not driving her too much I'd get the Vredestein, which cost more, but has a higher speed rating "V" and are more of classic tire for your Alfa. 185/70 is the original size, but I have also used 195/65 for some cars as well. You make the call? I really tested them too!

Beater5.jpg

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Yes, I'm happy with them. They are not a "HIGH PERFORMANCE" tire but for the money they do well. It gives the car a more original type of ride, if you understand. I had fat tires on before, 205/65 R14 which were a mistake.....
I went through a "get the biggest tire possible on there" phase, which detracted from enjoying a couple of the cars I've owned. Close to original size is usually a good choice for street use.

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
Truth be told,
todays all-season tires are better than the performance tires made in the '50s or '60s.
Better in the wet and dry.
If you had ever driven on the premium Michelin X 155-15 tires in the '60s you would know......
Also, keep the width down and let the car dance !

·
Registered
159 Posts
original tire size testimonial

I just removed somethin'-or-other/65R14's off my stock 14x5.5 rims and put Vredestein 165HR14's on the car and got a good balance and alignment. Man, what a difference that makes! First off, I've quit hitting every rough patch of road with my sump guard. The difference is WAY more than I was expecting with the inch larger diameter of the tire; I think the sidewall stiffness of these old profile tires make a big part of the difference. The car now rides like it is supposed to and it's still lower than anything else around except for Lambos and Lotuses, if that matters to you.
And, although I haven't driven it fast or pushed it hard, yet, I love the feel and feedback I get through the wheel with these tires. Maybe next time I'll spring for Pirellis for old times sake, but the size is the thing.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts