Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi AlfaBB Community,

I recently acquired a 1959 Giulietta Sprint project car. It was built in October of 59 which makes it a transitional car. It had been raced in period and then put away in a barn for 50 years. Can you help me identify if the current steering wheel and instruments are correct for the car? The instruments are what you’ll typically find in a later Giulia Sprint.
Thanks in advance!
Josh

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, you would have the same instruments. The instruments changed in 63.
Thanks! That’s very helpful! Do you know when they changed form the black wheel with the white horn ring to this aluminum one that my car has?

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Josh
Giulietta Sprint steering wheel - ALL had white center covering and half-circle horn ring.
Substituting a Giulia wheel was very common in later years.

Giulietta Sprint gauges remained the same for 750 & 101.
Gauges changed with the introduction of the Giulia Sprint and again with the Sprint GT.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Josh
Giulietta Sprint steering wheel - ALL had white center covering and half-circle horn ring.
Substituting a Giulia wheel was very common in later years.

Giulietta Sprint gauges remained the same for 750 & 101.
Gauges changed with the introduction of the Giulia Sprint and again with the Sprint GT.
Thank you! Great information. I’m currently having the steering wheel restored. So I’ll have to decide to keep or sell it. Did Nardi make a wheel that mates to the column as nicely as the stock wheels? I see Mr. Fiat sells a Nardi for the Sprint Speciale for a small fortune. Thanks again!

·
Registered
567 Posts
Hi PBalfisti,

Fwiw, an 'optional' Nardi steering wheel looks nice indeed but just like your late 101 steering wheel, it was not originally mounted on this car. So I would think, what's the point of changing the existing steering wheel for one that is very expensive but also not original unless it is damaged or unless it is your preference ? Of course the choice is only yours, like it should be.

If you want to walk the path of the correct original 1959 steering wheel, starting from zero, be also prepared to pay a lot of money today. At least in Europe the price of a nice 750 steering wheel has increased a lot. If that is your goal, in my opinion you'ld better not wait to long befor buying the needed original parts ... and don't sell your late 101 steering wheel befor you have your alternative mounted in your car.
Be sure, there still will be Nardis for sale a long time after the original steering wheels will have disappeared completely from the market.

Just my point of view of course.

Thierry

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi PBalfisti,

Fwiw, an 'optional' Nardi steering wheel looks nice indeed but just like your late 101 steering wheel, it was not originally mounted on this car. So I would think, what's the point of changing the existing steering wheel for one that is very expensive but also not original unless it is damaged or unless it is your preference ? Of course the choice is only yours, like it should be.

If you want to walk the path of the correct original 1959 steering wheel, starting from zero, be also prepared to pay a lot of money today. At least in Europe the price of a nice 750 steering wheel has increased a lot. If that is your goal, in my opinion you'ld better not wait to long befor buying the needed original parts ... and don't sell your late 101 steering wheel befor you have your alternative mounted in your car.
Be sure, there still will be Nardis for sale a long time after the original steering wheels will have disappeared completely from the market.

Just my point of view of course.

Thierry
[/QUOTE

Thanks for the advice! I’ll probably keep the Giulia wheel as I do like the aesthetic. The car will be far from original. Likely drop a 105 series drivetrain, lowered suspension form Classic Alfa, delete the bumpers and shave the large rear pinch weld as well.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
The steering wheel and gauges are used in the 101 1600 Giulia cars or 101 SS cars and maybe the 101 SZ cars. I recently restored a 101 SS and it used the same steering wheel and gauges. I purchased a Nardi steering wheel for my 1961 Sprint Veloce and it was expensive in 1970. I see restored Nardi steering wheels for $2.5K and would recommend using the original wheel.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The steering wheel and gauges are used in the 101 1600 Giulia cars or 101 SS cars and maybe the 101 SZ cars. I recently restored a 101 SS and it used the same steering wheel and gauges. I purchased a Nardi steering wheel for my 1961 Sprint Veloce and it was expensive in 1970. I see restored Nardi steering wheels for $2.5K and would recommend using the original wheel.
Thanks for the response! I’d love to see photos of the Nardi in your Sprint. Especially how the hub meets the column and if it’s as flush as the Giulia wheel. I think I’ll ultimately try and find a Nardi for the car. The car will be a bit of a hot rod with 105 drivetrain so originality isn’t a huge concern. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
I have many photos of my 101 SV restoration under the ABB restoration forum. The name of my post is 1961 Sprint Veloce restoration and photos of the Nardi steering wheel are in the post.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
No, you would have the same instruments. The instruments changed in 63.
Chuck, I found the "new 1600 set" of instruments already on my December built 1962 1600 Spider. But the August built 1962 1600 Sprint still carries the old set.
Dennis

1 - 14 of 14 Posts