Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Can anyone tell me whether this is the correct radiator housing for a 1964 Alfa Sprint GT?

The radiator is going to be replaced with an original unit however I am not sure whether the fan housing is original or not.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
5,977 Posts
Vin,

No it's not. The Sprint GT fan blade is mechanically driven off the engine, whereas the type you show is electrical and probably comes from an Alfetta of some kind. I do not have a photo of the correct fan shroud but there will be one on the BB, somewhere.

These early GTs have all kinds of details which were not a feature of post-66/67 cars and you should try to track down an original parts catalogue (not the 'Rapido Ricambi' catalogue reprinted with a red cover) or the very useful DVD published by CarDisc as either of these will answer almost every question. Trying to find many of the correct parts could take time, though, if you are aiming for a concours restoration.

Cheers,

Alex.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Alex,

Not looking for a concours restoration, however the car is fitted with a 2.0 ltr motor and twin spark head.

We are hoping to at least convert back to a standard 2.0 ltr with sprint gt cam cover.

Have already managed to source the air intake system and hoping to have a replacement head and ancillaries by next month.

Does anyone have a photo of how the fan should look on a 2L (512) motor?

·
Super Moderator
10,623 Posts
Does anyone have a photo of how the fan should look on a 2L (512) motor?
It looks like a white nylon fan bolted to the five, 6mm bolts on the front face of the water pump pulley. You can see those bolt heads in the photo you posted. All the Alfa parts suppliers sell replacement fans.

The correct fan shroud, like the one in the parts book diagram that shane1750 posted, may be tough to find. Later cars had a plastic shroud, but your radiator won't have the studs to mount one of those (and of course, it wouldn't look correct).

If you can't find an early, metal fan shroud, your Alfa will probably cool OK without it. The shroud does make the fan more efficient, but unless you live in the Mohave desert, you can probably get away without one.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Guys,

Found out the water pump I have fitted in the car is actually used for an electric fan rather than mechanical

Looks like I might be replacing the engine .. so all of this is going to be chucked in the bin hopefully :)

·
Registered
7,754 Posts
FWIW, my '69 Jr has no shround and came that way as confirmed in owners manual pics. The radiator never had the 4 studs or bolt points for one and it is original I am sure. I thought mine was missing until I started exploring the subject.

So in the case of a earlier car I would expect the shroud but then if the replacement radiator has no studs or bolt points (4 I think at the corners) thence the later.. either way it's more of a safety issue for wandering hands when they shouldn't be where they could be while the engine is running and broken plastic fan blades doing damage to a hood, IMO. Cooling efficiency is not compromised.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Here's my August 1965 production '65GT original radiator. Hope this helps.

For the, ahem, "particular", the radiator fan shroud is not the same sheen as the radiator itself: the radiator is a "low-gloss" black; the shroud a "gloss" black.

Chuck

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts