Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a paint code or a known color that was used on the 1963 Spiders. I want to get as close to the original Red that was used from the factory.

Thank you,

James

·
Administrator
4,148 Posts
James you are going down a rabbit hole here, the Spider red colour was called Pininfarina Red & it's a distinctly orangy red

This is a picture I took 12 years ago on the Register Tour to France, taken at night with a low tech digital camera so it's grainy & lousy, but it's still the best representation of the difference between the Bertone 501 Red on the Sprints and the Pininfarina 505 Red on the Spiders

Add to this that the pigments have changed over time & modern pigments are ground much finer than the originals. See if you can get an spectrograph analysis of a paint sample behind the steering box or under the idler or under the dash etc...... failing that, pick a modern colour you feel is close to the original & go with that.

Ciao
Greig

Attachments

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
Is there a paint code or a known color that was used on the 1963 Spiders. I want to get as close to the original Red that was used from the factory.

Thank you,

James
James, Greig is right as usual.. . Almost all shops use a base coat clear coat two stage system so the finish on a touch-up might be dull but the pigment should be just about right on. It is AR 514 which is still an active formula in most data bases the shops use. It might be what you are looking for and it might not... It takes a good shop about 10 minutes to mix up a touch-up and if you are lucky and have a nice man on a slow business day mixing it he will hand it to you free. This was pretty much the ubiquitous red on Duettos and other PF Spiders through the early 70's.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
James, Greig is right as usual.. . Almost all shops use a base coat clear coat two stage system so the finish on a touch-up might be dull but the pigment should be just about right on. It is AR 514 which is still an active formula in most data bases the shops use. It might be what you are looking for and it might not... It takes a good shop about 10 minutes to mix up a touch-up and if you are lucky and have a nice man on a slow business day mixing it he will hand it to you free. This was pretty much the ubiquitous red on Duettos and other PF Spiders through the early 70's.
Thanks for the information,
I believe my cars original paint is "orangy red". I'm trying to get as close to original as possible on the entire restoration but really prefer a red, so I'm most likely going with red as opposed to the original color.

Thanks again,

James

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
Thanks for the information,
I believe my cars original paint is "orangy red". I'm trying to get as close to original as possible on the entire restoration but really prefer a red, so I'm most likely going with red as opposed to the original color.

Thanks again,

James
Not quite sure what you mean.. If it is the 'orangy red' it should be easy for others who just recently tackled this as it is one of the most common factory colors..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts