Alfa Romeo Forums banner

61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Steve,
Save those old spark plugs. They would make great Chritmas tree ornaments.

·
Premium Member
26,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Paul-
I had an issue with an Ebay wire set on my 154L. I really had to mash them down to get them to make the connection. They work fine so far with the OEM spec plugs.
Is a 154L one that runs on 5 cylinders when one wire goes bad?

·
Registered
566 Posts
Because they arrived first, I installed the allegedly incorrect NGK 5/8" hex-head BKR6EIX (6418) plugs in my 164S this morning, before trundling off to work.

They fit fine and work fine. The spark plug wire connectors positively snapped onto the caps on the end of the plugs at about the same time the rubber boots contacted (in a much more spongy way) the valve cover. My connectors, by the way, more closely resemble the bottom ("Red") connector in Paul's post #46.

The plugs I removed, which were kind of ratty looking (to use a technical term) were NGK PFR6B, the platinum/OEM equivalent (and identical in size) to the "incorrect" Iridiums I just installed.

Per Steve's suggestion I ordered a Butt Dyno, and it tells me that with the new plugs my car is idling a bit more smoothly and seems to start and run a bit better too. I didn't see any obvious signs of oil fouling or rich running on the old plugs but a few of them looked pretty worn so I guess they were due for replacement.

As long as the BKR plugs continue to work well, I can't think of any good reason to remove them and replace with the "allegedly correct" 13/16" hex/longer NGK BPR6EIX (6637) plugs when the latter show up in the mail.

·
Premium Member
26,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
I guess it all depends how hard your plug wire hard hats are. Since they advise us to wear hard hats in recontruction and construction zones which we all seem to be in with our Alfa Romeos my story is I am sticking with 13/16" plugs.

·
Registered
4,306 Posts
Timely - as I just came in to post an update to my situation. With a HOT engine and some considerable force I was able to get the connectors to snap on to the plugs. I had to use pliers to reach down and push onto the rear ones. This is something I didn't seem to be able to achieve when the wires were new and stone cold but the caps are more pliable when hot. Probably after a few heat cycles in the properly snapped on position they will be no trouble.

So, no sweat I'm going to use the new 13/16 inch NGK's to replace the Bosch Plat4's in Blackie. See how owning TWO identical 164's can save your bacon :whistling:

·
Registered
201 Posts
Because they arrived first, I installed the allegedly incorrect NGK 5/8" hex-head BKR6EIX (6418) plugs in my 164S this morning, before trundling off to work.

They fit fine and work fine. The spark plug wire connectors positively snapped onto the caps on the end of the plugs at about the same time the rubber boots contacted (in a much more spongy way) the valve cover. My connectors, by the way, more closely resemble the bottom ("Red") connector in Paul's post #46.

The plugs I removed, which were kind of ratty looking (to use a technical term) were NGK PFR6B, the platinum/OEM equivalent (and identical in size) to the "incorrect" Iridiums I just installed.

Per Steve's suggestion I ordered a Butt Dyno, and it tells me that with the new plugs my car is idling a bit more smoothly and seems to start and run a bit better too. I didn't see any obvious signs of oil fouling or rich running on the old plugs but a few of them looked pretty worn so I guess they were due for replacement.

As long as the BKR plugs continue to work well, I can't think of any good reason to remove them and replace with the "allegedly correct" 13/16" hex/longer NGK BPR6EIX (6637) plugs when the latter show up in the mail.
here is a good reason to remove them, ship them to me to israel, i have a 24v so i need this ngk. :)

·
Registered
98 Posts
I was convinced that my magenecor plug wire set was built wrong because they are not the right size for the 5/8ths plugs. I was thinking that it seemed like the plugs were too short. Thanks Steve for the clarification.

·
Premium Member
26,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
So do your plug wire hats move on your OEM sparkplug wires for your 12v V6 engines if so you can adjust the depth of plug wire connector to reach the shorter 5/8" hex head plugs.

This old thread sure got some mileage years ago.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Which plugs would you recommend for the 24v engine, Steve?
Have been looking at NGK IFR6B (6507) iridium laser - really hard to get hold of for a decent price in the UK so probably sticking to either the original platinum laser or iridium IX versons.

Update: call me boring, getting a set of the original spec platinum plugs.

61 - 70 of 70 Posts